What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love warm water diving but one of my favorite places to dive is Lake Tahoe. It's only an hour and a half from me, great visibility and interesting topography. There are walls, places with humongous granite boulders in the middle of the sand and even a few wrecks. I haven't done any of the wrecks yet and by East coast standards they really aren't much but they are there and close.
The appeal? Well, some say there's nothing to see in lakes, but really, that is like comparing a rainforest with the desert; both have an abundance of life and beauty, the desert just makes you work harder to see it.

Oh yeah, and work on skills, makes you tougher yada-yada-yada....

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Lucky us we have a back yard where we don't have to challenge ourselves to have a super time.

Having lived in the north I can appreciate some of the other posts. But I will say anyone who has the choice and is honest will choose warm clear water to dive.

If you've dove in the Great Lakes (which is mostly what we dive in Michigan), there are currents, there are gail force winds (comparable to hurricanes), and waves large enough to sink ocean going freighters (40 foot documented).... Sounds like diving in the ocean... Just make the water 42 degrees and the visibility poor. It's a rush.

Richesb:
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Lucky us we have a back yard where we don't have to challenge ourselves to have a super time.

Having lived in the north I can appreciate some of the other posts. But I will say anyone who has the choice and is honest will choose warm clear water to dive.
I completely disagree. I would choose diving here anytime over the ocean. That is complete honesty. It's what you prefer. That's all. Not to use a label, but I love wreck diving. I didn't really care for the wrecks in Florida. The wrecks around here are just incredible. Where else can you go down on a wreck that was just discovered and find a boot, a sailers hat, dishes, etc., in mint condition?

Give me a hot sunny day on a warm shallow reef full of colorful tropical fish. No wetsuit required. Diving off a cattle boat with many other happy divers from around the world with endless stimulating conversation filling the air. This is what I call diving.

It is much more challenging for the most part than salt water diving.

It's not fresh water, but the ocean on the BC coast is cold, dark, and low viz, especially where I dive (viz is anywhere between 6 inches and 40ft). I have also gone diving in Cozumel.

After having dived here and in warm clear water...i definitely prefer the cold water here, hands down. Why? It's waaay more interesting sea life, and every dive site looks different. Cozumel, I seriously got bored after 4 days of 2 dives a day. It all looked the same. it never looks the same here!

I live a mile from the ocean and close to dozens of ponds. The problem is that I'm in Massachusetts and the water is cold most if not all the year. Even after fully suiting up in a 7mm wetsuit it's still so worth it. Wrecks are also cool to see up here. You also have a chance to find something when you go to a wreck. Vacation dives are usually picked over.

It's because in fresh-water, you don't have to clean your gear after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom