What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockn4u

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wanting to replace my Scubapro Ladyhawk BC and I got to dive the Cressi Woman's Travelight one day while diving Hawaii in August 2016. Now I am thinking of buying it because I am a vacation diver and always traveling with my gear.

Please give me your opinions about the best ultra light travel BCs

deep sea supply kydex plate, torus 17/26 or LCD20 wing. Will be probably right around the weight of the travelight, but will be much more robust and versatile for you. Other advantage is lift isn't determined by how big/small you are, so you can tailor the amount of lift to what you actually need which is something jacket bc's can't do.

deep sea supply kydex plate, torus 17/26 or LCD20 wing. Will be probably right around the weight of the travelight, but will be much more robust and versatile for you. Other advantage is lift isn't determined by how big/small you are, so you can tailor the amount of lift to what you actually need which is something jacket bc's can't do.
has anyone actually measured the weight of a complete lightweight bpw system? i can find the weight of the plate and wing. how much more does the harness, d rings, cam band, weight pockets, etc add?

the cressi travelight is advertised as 5 to 6.2 lbs depending upon size. the previous flex bcd is even lighter since it did not have a quick release integrated weight system. it has a set of weight pockets inside the bcd pocket - not a smart idea as they become very difficult to ditch quickly.

Ok. Apparently I am an idiot. Say what??

I looked up the manufacturer and the back plate and the type. It seems they build you a BC. I only have 100 dives so this may be way to advanced for me.

It's important that it be smaller, lighter as well as well as collapsible

has anyone actually measured the weight of a complete lightweight bpw system? i can find the weight of the plate and wing. how much more does the harness, d rings, cam band, weight pockets, etc add?

the cressi travelight is advertised as 5 to 6.2 lbs depending upon size. the previous flex bcd is even lighter since it did not have a quick release integrated weight system. it has a set of weight pockets inside the bcd pocket - not a smart idea as they become very difficult to ditch quickly.
DSS 17 lb wing with a soft Oxy backplate weighs under 4 pounds including harness, SS rings. cam bands, buckle. If you want lighter than that, change the SS hardware to plastic.

Halcyon Traveler Pro is my travel rig. Great setup, but pricey. Weighs about 7 pounds.

I've heard really good things about Scubapros Hydros, but haven't dove one yet, so I'm not the best reference on that. Without added weight pockets, it's like 6 pounds, I think.

I use and love my Zeagle Covert for travel, because I usually have to fly to get to where I want to dive, so every pound is critical to my packing plan. The Covert is under 4 pounds, includes a 32# lift bladder, and also has integrated weight pockets that will each hold 8# of weights. It is very comfortable, and is so easy to pack flat or you can roll it up like a newspaper. I do not plan on diving doubles, so 32# of lift is enough for any diving I am going to be doing. A lot of divers on this site push the very flexible bp/w, but you are the one that must decide what type of diving you are going to do and how much flexibility you really need. I could have bought any bc on the market, but decided on the Covert because it best fit my needs for diving and traveling by air.

I have hundreds of ocean dives on my Aqualung Zuma, plus training dives. I love it - it's never let me down. I'm a huge guy and the BCD almost looks like nothing - but it does everything I need. It weighs less than 5lbs, even in my size, rolls into a very compact tube, and dries very quickly. When I've seen other people diving Zumas on boats, I always ask them if they like it, and their praise is universal.

Zeagle Covert. Super light and easy to pack. I have an extra one for sale if interested. It's basically brand new(only used a couple times). Size L. Asking 400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom