What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's a board. On the board there are fora, and in the fora there are threads. On the threads hang backplates. With wings.

For me BP/W solved the issue of "what if I *later* find I want more/fewer D rings/pockets/etc, bigger/smaller lift", without buying a whole new BC. I don't think the people in jackets care that I am wearing a BP/W. The boat DMs had positive reactions in Hawaii and Belize. There is not much that goes wrong with any BC that is easily fixed locally, other than replacement or rental. Steel/Aluminum/kydex and nylon cover/webbing are fairly durable.

Edit: I agree *the* lightest is likely sidemount, and may be one of the nicest systems if you know it. After that, for light and nice, kydex/light steel/AL and small wing comes second in my mind. But then I took a 9 lb. steel plate with me to Belize...

Last edited:
My wife is complaining about two things with her Zuma at the moment. No crotch strap so it rides up when she goes head down and small plastic d-rings that are hard to use in the water with no easy way to add d-rings of a normal useful size.

Once she gets a BP/W I suspect she will fall out of love with her Zuma for good. It really doesn't fit her worth a damn anyway but she has a certain affection for it. None of the problems she has had with it exist with a BP/W and they weigh about the same.

Why is it that there is so much resentment about people trying to share their positive experiences with a product that, quite frankly, is at a strong marketing disadvantage in the current scuba world. It is not at all common for a new diver to go into a dive shop and have racks and displays of BP/Ws greeting them. They might find one in the corner or in the other room. Why is that? Because it tqkes a bit of knowledge and expertise to sell and assemble a plate, wing, a piece of nylon webbing and a bit of stainless hardware into a well adjusted and balanced rig. It is just easier to tell them to try on this jacket.

Edit: I agree *the* lightest is likely sidemount, and may be one of the nicest systems if you know it. After that, for light and nice, kydex/light steel/AL and small wing comes second in my mind. But then I took a 9 lb. steel plate with me to Belize...

I've not yet seen a sidemount setup in real life so, from seeing pictures, I'm wondering are the tanks secure enough to do a giant step from a boat? Or is a different type of entry used with this setup?

I've not yet seen a sidemount setup in real life so, from seeing pictures, I'm wondering are the tanks secure enough to do a giant step from a boat? Or is a different type of entry used with this setup?

For sidemount entry people describe clipping off the neck to a chest D ring. Once below the surface chop you transition the neck to the bungie and unclip the chest D. Very close to how you rig a pony or stage. That I have *read*, everything strapped to you firmly, a.k.a back mount single/double, may have benefits in rough conditions. If you have the tanks or refill support, you could do two small tanks, AL40/LP50 which are just big pony size. Rough water boat entry for a new sidemount diver might not go smoothly, better to get good with them first. See sidemount forum for more. Its likely not a last minute change you can make to save weight on luggage, unless you can take a class while there :):).

This was supposed to be introduced at TekDiveUSA earlier this week. Vapor ware or was something there?

Was a price point discussed?

they can be with proper use of neck clips, but it is a bit interesting as compared to single tank backmount. I like it, a lot of my friends do as well, but if people are balking at how "different" a bp/w is, going to single tank sidemount is a completely different discussion

Back
Top Bottom