What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't bother selecting a BC based on serviceability. Unlike a regulator, there's not much to go wrong. And if you're that far afield, you should take parts with you. A replacement dump valve for mine is $3.95, and a replacement power inflator is $16.95. Neither of those are just going to fail out of the blue, but if you're really worried about it it's a minor cost and small size to bring the parts. The service tech may not have seen a BP/W before, but the fact is the mechanics of it are exactly the same as any other BC. Just because the physical appearance is different doesn't mean it actually is a problem to service.

LOL - what makes you think there is these mythical service techs everywhere? Without even travelling - the Zeagle technician for my state loves them but does not recommend them because of the difficulty and time in getting parts. There are some places where there is no such thing as a service tech! Nearest service technician when I needed inflator hose replaced was in South Africa or Mauritius for any scuba gear of any brand from what you refer to as poodle jackets to hogarthian rigs - the dive shops that do service gear go on holiday during cyclone season. I dived in hire gear. I did say whatever suits the OP and her intended dive path - just my opinion and just trying to encourage a person buying their first set of gear to buy what they feel comfortable with.

The mechanics may be the same...the understanding of concepts may not. If OP goes BPW good on her - if not, good on her too.

LOL - what makes you think there is these mythical service techs everywhere?

Your post was specifically about dive centers working on your gear. That would pretty obviously be a 'service tech'. If there's no tech, then parts availability is even more irrelevant, and being able to pack a full set of parts for $20 is a strong selling point.

from what you refer to as poodle jackets
Are you actually reading my posts? At no point have I called anything a poodle jacket or any other derogatory term.

I'm happy to discuss this with you, but you're going to have to stop moving the goal posts.

Ok, here we go...from what is commonly referred to on scubaboard as poodle jackets - is that better? - my original post was about why I chose to go with Aqualung and that servicing availability was part of the reason. Are you reading my posts?

Ok, here we go...from what is commonly referred to on scubaboard as poodle jackets - is that better? - my original post was about why I chose to go with Aqualung and that servicing availability was part of the reason. Are you reading my posts?

Yes, I am.

you'd be wrong. I tried one once (full hogarthian setup)

One use?

You tried one *once* and based your decisions and opinions based on a single use? Really? I tell my customers they can expect to fuss with their harness for the first 2-3-6 dives and that donning and doffing requires a bit of practice. It's not difficult, but it is different from the typical jacket.

Tobin

One use?

You tried one *once* and based your decisions and opinions based on a single use? Really? I tell my customers they can expect to fuss with their harness for the first 2-3-6 dives and that donning and doffing requires a bit of practice. It's not difficult, but it is different from the typical jacket.

Tobin
And it was only in a pool...gasp...:rofl3:

Actually we tried adjusting it twice. I did not like the steel plate across my shoulder blades and am willing to put up with the performance hit to have a padded lumbar pad on my BC.

It's just not for me...

And it was only in a pool...gasp...:rofl3:

Actually we tried adjusting it twice. I did not like the steel plate across my shoulder blades and am willing to put up with the performance hit to have a padded lumbar pad on my BC.

It's just not for me...
Which can be added to many backplates for minimal cost.

OH OH OH...duh I just figured it out I think... Back plate and wings??
And why does everyone here seem to prefer them?

If by "here" you mean this particular forum, it is because many of the frequent participants in this particular forum are really "into" the BPW as almost a hobby...or perhaps almost a religious thing...the merits of this plate and that, which is the best way to thread one's webbing, which shorts have the best pockets, who has the best clips and straps, steel plates vs aluminum vs kydex, etc. A BPW is great for some people...a back inflate BCD is great for some people, and a wrap around BCD is preferred by some people. I continue to believe that for most divers who dive warm water and fly to warm water destinations to dive, a BPW is usually not the best choice, but of course will work if it is one's preferred device. Frankly, some of the better back inflate BCDs offer almost all the benefits of a BPW in a more user convenient, friendly / travel friendly package. Granted, they cost a bit more than a bare bones BPW, but if you start adding weight systems and pockets to a BPW and/or factor in special garments and gadgets like glue on pockets for your wetsuit or those weird shorts you wear over your wetsuit, the cost difference shrinks. Well, weird when you are diving in the Caribbean

Ultimately, the best choice depends on one's needs and goals, and no one system is best for each situation. If you are curious about a BP, read through some of the threads discussing all the options and gizmos and techniques and people discussing how to get into and out of the things, how many D rings are too many, etc.

Last edited:
If you don't go for a BP/W, you're still going to want to shop in the back-inflate travel section simply for compact ease of packing. Something like a Dive Rite TravelPac or Zeagle Covert will get you most of the packing benefits of a BP/W and some of the streamlining benefits.

If by "here" you mean this particular forum, it is because many of the frequent participants in this particular forum are really "into" the BPW as almost a hobby...the merits of this plate and that, which is the best way to thread one's webbing, which shorts have the best pockets, who has the best clips and straps, steel plates vs aluminum vs kydex, etc. A BPW is great for some people...a back inflate BCD is great for some people, and a wrap around BCD is preferred by some people. I continue to believe that for most divers who dive warm water and fly to warm water destinations to dive, a BPW is usually not the best choice, but of course will work if it is one's preferred device.

A lot of why there's such strong affinity for them here is that they're really that good. But since most shops don't stock them, people don't necessarily get a chance to consider them. So those who know just how good they are want to make sure they're at least on the table. Combine that with a strong contingent of anti-BP/Wers, many of whom just saw a picture of one once and are now experts, and you get ongoing emotional discussions.

Back
Top Bottom