What is the best and lightest BC for traveling? Cressi Travelite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man, this begs the question what is a sidemount

upload_2017-4-14_19-36-40.jpeg

Mounting your cylinders at your side, rather than your back. Eliminates the need for a heavy rigid back plate. There's pros and cons to both back mount and side mount.
You can side mount a single tank.

Looking for advice on finding the smallest and lightest Women's BC that can take up less space in air line luggage.

I have to fly to good dive sites and my gear bag and the extra baggage fees are killing me.

I've always had a Scubapro Ladyhawk (back inflate) but tried a Cressi Travelite for women (vest type) in August and liked it.

Help!!!

OH OH OH...duh I just figured it out I think... Back plate and wings??
And why does everyone here seem to prefer them?

They're more comfortable and stable in the water, and since you can separate the wing from the plate, they can be easier to pack compactly. Of course, you never have to take it apart if you don't want to. Another benefit is the harness is infinitely adjustable, so there are no sizing concerns. You can make it fit YOU perfectly, and if you change size for better or worse, or give it to someone else, all it takes is $15 of new webbing to completely change the size. If you choose a stainless steel plate (not the best choice for "lightest travel"), it will reduce or eliminate the need for weights on a belt.

One more benefit to being modular: If you somehow mess up the wing, or wear it out somehow (good luck doing that), you only have to replace that component. In the same way, if you change style of diving and need more or less lift, it's just a new wing. Or if you want a stainless plate for home and a kydex plate for travel, you can use the same wing. Versatile and flexible.

Last edited:
View attachment 405448

Mounting your cylinders at your side, rather than your back. Eliminates the need for a heavy rigid back plate. There's pros and cons to both back mount and side mount.
You can side mount a single tank.
Thank you!!!

They're more comfortable and stable in the water, and since you can separate the wing from the plate, they can be easier to pack compactly. Of course, you never have to take it apart if you don't want to. Another benefit is the harness is infinitely adjustable, so there are no sizing concerns. You can make it fit YOU perfectly, and if you change size for better or worse, or give it to someone else, all it takes is $15 of new webbing to completely change the size. If you choose a stainless steel plate (not the best choice for "lightest travel"), it will reduce or eliminate the need for weights on a belt.

One more benefit to being modular: If you somehow mess up the wing, or wear it out somehow (good luck doing that), you only have to replace that component. In the same way, if you change style of diving and need more or less left, it's just a new wing. Or if you want a stainless plate for home and a kydex plate for travel, you can use the same wing. Versatile and flexible.
Thank you

Check out the Zeagle Zena. Nice fit for women. No hard backplate so you can actually roll it up. One for sale in the classifieds right now.

Aluminum back plate and wing. Lightweight and fits nice and flat into luggage.

I use an aqualung Zuma when travelling - no complaints.

And why does everyone here seem to prefer them?
Not everyone just a very vocal minority on Scubaboard.

a simple review of any online dealer's website, your local store, what almost everyone on the boat is using makes that immediately apparent - unless you're in Cave Country where the opposite is true.

Ask how comfortable a steel/kydex plate is when you're diving in a swimsuit. Or unpadded 2" webbing.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely have their place.
Since your current BC is a Ladyhawk, I don't think you're the target market demographic though...lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom