What is the best macro lens...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the F.I.T UCL-04, which is a 5X achromatic wet lens. So far, the results have been really good. It can also be doubled up with their 8X and 16X macros as well.

What is the best macro lens that will fit a EPL3 and oly housing without changing the port to an after market one? Happy to use a adaptor if required.

Or should I just buy a macro converter lens for the 14-42mm lens?

'Best' is a very subjective word/request.
IMHO 'best' would/could only be a macro prime lens as in the 45mm macro Panasonic, but I'm assuming that you are inquiring about wet diopters?
As for the wet diopters, a recent report by Jussi might come in very handy for your information.
DEEPSHOTS BIG UNDERWATER CLOSE-UP LENS TEST | Deepshots
In all honesty, I would forget all about the OEM macro adaptor performance wise and I doubt very much that it would fit inside the standard port anyway.
Bruce

Last edited:
Every one over at wetpixel swears by the reefnet subsee diopters too. That test by deepshot proves the point.

The reefnet subsee +5 and +10 are great high-quality diopters with 67mm threads, and the subsee +5 will be your sharpest option. The dyron +7 is smaller and they are stackable. We've gotten great results with the E-PL3 and all 3 diopters - Scott

Please note that the strenths on the FIT diopters are in-air strengths, so when comparing the strengths underwater with Subsee & Dyron dive the FIT numbers by 2.67

Last edited:
'Best' is a very subjective word/request.
IMHO 'best' would/could only be a macro prime lens as in the 45mm macro Panasonic

Any experience with the 45mm Panasonic macro with the EPL-3? Does it fit in the standard 14-42 port? Will the rumored (?) macro from Oly fit?

Any experience with the 45mm Panasonic macro with the EPL-3? Does it fit in the standard 14-42 port? Will the rumored (?) macro from Oly fit?

There is a different lens port sold for the
PT-EP05L to use with the 45mm, so it appears the standard port doesn't fit.

Log in to, UWPMAG.com and open the current issue (free PDF download) to read my review of the Panasonic 45mm macro for M43. Also covered the 14-42 and the Sony 30mm macro. Both lenses reach 1:1
(life-size) but in a much different way.

It has been my observation during many of the workshops I teach that these close-up lenses are being used way before the prime lens is extended to its full macro length, i.e. 1:1 1:2 whatever. I use the Inon and ReefNet close-up lenses for super macro but I always get my lens to 1:1 before I move the close-up lens into place. This buts more distance between the lens and subject at any given magnification.

Phil Rudin

Phil, what do you mean? I am using the E-pl1 with the 14-42mm lens and oly housing with an Inon diapoter. I have been dialing the lens to 42mm and just slapping the 67mm Inon wetmont (with the adapter). If i want to upgrade what would work best? I rather not buy a port...

I took this yesterday:

431107_10150570250472471_504242470_9436018_12084826_n.jpg

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-5012262.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-5012266.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-5012271.jpgWhat I mean is this, inside the slide mount is the 1:1 (lifesize) image captured on 35mm size film or sensor. At 1:1 on the 4/3 or M4/3 sensor you get an image (the two eyes) this size. If I add a +10 diopter close-up lens I can get to the size of the single eyeball filling the frame which is 2:1 in this case.

Adding a +10 diopter will reduce the distance from the subject to the lens by about 50%, not good with many subjects. Other issues like image quality, lighting issues as you get closer and more are also created with the close-up lens.

So if my lens allows me to get to 1:1 or 1:2 whatever then why would I want to use the close-up lens attachment before I get to the max magnification the lens alone will without it.

I have both the Inon and ReefNet +10 C/U lenses and I use them alot but not when the lens alone can produce the same image.

For M43 I think the new Olympus 12-50 which has a switch that allows the lens to limit its focusing range from about 7.5 to 20 inches will be great for macro/close-up, it will have greater magnification than the 14-42 and should have much better image quality. It of course can also use the add-on C/U lenses.

The 60mm macro for M4/3 coming at the end of the year also sounds excellent but will require a new port.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom