What is the best size tanks for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJCBS

Live to dive! Dive to live!
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really enjoy sidemount have used several size tanks. I'm just wondering what some opinions are on their favorite size tanks.
Thank you in advance.

I’d suspect a lot of it depends on the person’s size. I’m starting out SM with the same steel HP80s I use for single tank BM. I’m 5’5” and they work well for my height.

Depends on what you're doing. BHB? 50s. Doing a longish dive in Ginnie Springs? My LP120s are perfect.

Size, exposure suit, dive profile, weight required..........
Generally, long and lean for shape and close to neutral as possible.

If you are doing Rec dives only, I will say nothing beats two 7L tanks either steel or aluminium, Luxfer makes them.

Depends on the gas requirements for the dive and how small of a hole you need to fit in. I generally dive al80's, lp 50's, hp 100's or lp 120's.

same as @bamafan
The vast majority of my dives are LP121's. Prior to those was HP120's since I'm tall. AL80's are nice if practical for warm water, but I don't use them for any of my normal diving. LP50's if I have to squeeze somewhere super tight or the cave is short/shallow.

The best size is the size that provides enough gas for the dive that's been planned. That might be a single AL80, or four HP100's, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom