What is the best wide-angle lens for Canon S95+WP-DC38

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm not looking for top quality shots right now...just looking for better coverage than i would get without the WA. i've shot on this wreck before with a nik v 10 years ago so i will probably wind up shooting a little of the same types of photos.

At that depth for a wreck you will need a fisheye lens and a tripod to have slow shutter speeds
A normal 100 degre wide angle won't do the job at best you can shoot a diver with it

Hi Interceptor,
I am based either in Poland or in France. Sorry to answer you so late. I have finally placed an order for Inon stuff with this Austrian shop: Der Online Shop "Unterwasserkamera.at" - das Original seit 2003 !. The owner, Manfred, is quite friendly and replies to emails what a lot of people do not do anymore. It is funny but the prices in Austria are the same in euros as the prices in UK in pounds. Manfred has tried to convince me to get en Ikelite housing with either Epoque DCL-20 or DCL-30. Which was nearly the same price as having UWL-H100 + mount base. Perhaps, I am wrong but it has seemed to me that there is not so much of advantage in this Ikelite housing over the Canon one.
But btw, what do you think about mechanical strain of placing an over 500 g lens directly on a polycarbonate housing?

I think you should apply the lens once you are in the water
In terms of strain I think it is better to use the inon mount as it has the bottom part that goes on the tray providing more support
Considering that you will apply the lens in water as it is heavy to leave on when you are at the surface the advantages of a bayonet mount are even clearer
So I think you did the right thing with the inon and you have a set up that can give you near fisheye with future investment

Yes, it seems to me that from mechanical point of view, Inon's design should be quite nice (I have seen only photos): the lens is mounted on the mount base and not directly on the housing. Even in the water, the lens is over 300 grams so it makes a difference:)

You can do some DIY to make the lens neutral but you have to be careful that the float does not shoot up to the surface if you remove the lens
The inon mount does go around the port so some torque is applied there however it is also connected to the metal base with two screws and its own base that goes in the tripod mount
The set up is extremely sturdy I have used those mounts for 6 years now and they don't give the slightest issue

WA110/DCL30 works pretty well...not as much vignetting at the wide end as I thought there'd be. Took some nice shots of nudis since it was murky and WA probably wasn't gonna happen with my limited ability. Will post pics later.

WA110/DCL30 works pretty well...not as much vignetting at the wide end as I thought there'd be. Took some nice shots of nudis since it was murky and WA probably wasn't gonna happen with my limited ability. Will post pics later.

The lens is designed for 28mm should not vignette with step zoom set up like that

i tried full wide 1st just to see how it would be without step zoom...with the step zoom, no worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom