What is the cheapest and Best harness system out there at this time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zap2467

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My brother has been trying to get me to get a harness like what he has. I have been looking at the nighthawk BCD and didn't know if I should put out the money or go for a harness and back plate system. Please help me make a decision! :idk:

Its a matter of opinion which is best. For me simple is best. I like a 1 piece continuous hogarthian harness with a backplate. It can carry you through all types of diving you may do. Surprisingly comfortable, infinitely adjustable, can be broken down into small pieces for travel, can be adapted, and on and on.....
There are a lot of good choices out there. Just depends on your personal style.

Like the above said...it depends what you want. Have you tried both on side by side? BP/W will give you much more freedom of movement vs. a bc as well as less buoyancy (less buoyant material).

Have you ever driven a lambo? You know how they say you feel like a part of the car making it work...unlike a normal car that you just feel like your driving? (I have never driven one, but heard this....) Well, a BP/W is the same....it fits so good that everything feels like an extension of YOU...vs just a bc you are wearing through the water. It feels natural when you wear it due to the fit and minimalism of it.

I'm not sure about your question. Definitely, the cheapest harness out there is a simple Hogarthian harness, made of continuous webbing with various pieces of hardware placed on it where they will be useful.

But you seem to be asking instead about whether you should purchase a BC or a backplate. Is that the question you would like advice with?

not sure what to reply...a harness? or a BC VS A backplate and wing? experience dictates to find what works for you. Either one will do what it is intended to do.

The cost...is relative to your needs. You do get what you pay for. Shop around, try before you buy if you can. and avoid following the crow because it is what they do...do what is best for you.

safe dives

Take a look at the Freedom Plate and Oxycheq wing. Search will turn up lots of recent posts. For me, it is the best of both except maybe if you dive tropical with no exposure suit at all.

Zach,
Look at where you are going in your diving. Are you going to do technical diving? Cave diving? Diving doubles? BP/W is the way to go. The Nighthawk is not a bad BC, but the comfort, flexibility, versatility, and simplicity are all reasons I dive the BP/W I do.

As for as the question:
What is the cheapest and Best harness system out there at this time?
might I recommend the Hogtharian. Simple and has everything you need.

Your bro,

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will take them to mind as well as where i will put these posts.

Go to Scuba Toys or North West Scuba Supply and get a Hog harness kit from Oxycheq or Diverite or one of several others. They're only around $40 and have everything you need.

Or you can order components from one of the online sellers or eBay and put a HOG harness together yourself for a fraction of what one costs off the shelf.
I think the last one I put together cost me a little less than $30. and it included a 2" crotch strap and top of the line stainless hardware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom