What is the craziest "specialty" you have heard of that you know is actually real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We all know a very well known training agency is known for it's many many many many many specialities they can offer. I want to know what is some of the funny or off the wall maybe down right crazy specialties you have encountered.

This is not an agency bashing thread please. Just a genuine question.

I have seen "gas management" diver which hey should be learned in OW. I've seen "Fish ID" which I find silly. Boat diver.............. In Florida..... And another silly one "Zen" diver

This has to be a joke... no way this is real lol
I'm sure there are a lot of chuckles involved. I think @boulderjohn once explained that anyone (any instructor anyway) can write course materials and submit them to PADI for official sanctioning. The description makes it sound kind of like a "rescue-lite" course with a bunch of fun and photos thrown in. I don't know anyone who's done it.

There is a dive shop in town claiming that they are the only one that is approved by PADI to teach the Zombie class, the others that have the class are not. If you want the real Zombie class you must go to them.

I think @boulderjohn once explained that anyone (any instructor anyway) can write course materials and submit them to PADI for official sanctioning.

That's exactly how it works. I did a distinctive specialty in underwater archaeology that was done just that way-- the instructor submitted a description of the MAST course in Ohio, and we were able to get a c-card for it through PADI after we did the MAST program.

Dive Koh Tao has also put together a few distinctive specialties that look interesting for fluorescence night diving, fluorescence photography and fluorescence videography: PADI Fluorescence Night Diver Specialty Course | UV Dive Koh Tao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom