What is the deal with lightning and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boatlawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been told by dm's on two dive boats that it is "safe" to scuba during a thunderstorm. I did a web search on the issue and found numerous warnings against diving during a thunderstorm.

Which is correct?

Since water and metal are two very good conductors of electricity and we are wearing it and swimming in it I would be suprised if there was no danger. Every dive boat I have been on would not allow us in the water if lightning was seen..

Boatlawyer:
I've been told by dm's on two dive boats that it is "safe" to scuba during a thunderstorm. I did a web search on the issue and found numerous warnings against diving during a thunderstorm.

Which is correct?

We were Quarry diving a few weeks ago when a storm moved through. We had guys on scooters herding all of the divers out of the water.

After I exited, we could see lighting strikes hitting close to the Quarry walls. One of the guys who was still in the water claimed that he felt a tingle.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in the water.

This is a good question and the answer is not simple.

In fresh water you do not want to be on or in the water if there is lightning close by.

In salt water you don't want to be on the surface or getting into or out of the water if there is lightning close. Submerged in salt water is not so dangerous as the water conducts well enough to spread the energy of the bolt quickly.

If you are deep and notice that there is lightning overhead then you probably want to extend your safety stop as long as you can or untill the lightning is away. When you do surface get on the boat as quickly as you can.

pipedope:

if i understand this correctly, since fresh water is not as good a conductor, the
electricity will channel through you as the "esiest route," whereas in salt water,
the easiest route is through the salt water itself? and the reason you don't want to
be at or near the surface is so you don't act like an accidental lightning rod?

i once heard that water doesn't really conduct electricity; it's the stuff dissolved
in the water that does. this appears to dovetail with what you said above. is that true?

oh, one last question. you said:

If you are deep and notice that there is lightning overhead then you probably want to extend your safety stop as long as you can or untill the lightning is away. When you do surface get on the boat as quickly as you can.

does this apply to fresh water as well, or should you just get
out of fresh water ASAP?

Yes Andy, those are the basic points.

I am too tired to get into more detail right now, remind me tomorrow and I will give more detail.

I have done a lot of work protecting boats and electronics from lightning so I know a little about it.

i think this is very interesting stuff. unfortunately, i don't know too much about it.

H2Andy:
i once heard that water doesn't really conduct electricity; it's the stuff dissolved in the water that does. this appears to dovetail with what you said above. is that true?
In fact, distilled water could be called an insulator. Machines that need to pass electricity through water somehow muck the water up to get reasonable current flow.

I used to do a science experiment with water and electricity. I placed a light bulb on a wire that was cut as if I would insert a switch on the wire. The two lose wires were placed in a cup a water and then it was plugged into an AC plug. The light bulb doesn't light up because the water is not a great conductor. I would add salt to the cup of water from a salt shaker. As the salt disolved the light slowly lights up. Don't misunderstand this. You can get shocked big time with water and electricity, but water is not nearly as good at conducting electricity as metal.

When in doubt, don't go in the water. I guess it would be best to be on the cautious side. We try to wait it out and go in later, but sometimes the storms don't cooperate. You need to be comfortable in what your doing, I don't take the risk just wait for another day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom