What is the line you draw for patronage of a shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not like being lied to. Won't sell me parts, I can accept; but I will take my business elsewhere as much as possible. "Can't sell me part" will probably bring about a little discussion if I have the time. If the "can't" is because the owner policy is not to, then I don't see a lie; but may opt to discuss it with the owner. If it carries the reason of mfgr policy or insurance restriction, my caution light goes on. I have yet to see the insurance policy clause or the dealer agreement that prohibits parts sales. When I send other divers to some LDS, it is one that has not lied to me.

Three major product lines we deal with does not allow us to sell parts kits. There's not even a MAP on the pricelist. Our agreement is that we will service the regs after we are certed in doing so.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

I LIKE BEING TREATED LIKE MY BUSINESS AS IMPORTANT WITHER I SPEND $5 OR $500.I like a friendly owner /sales personI like when they take the time to ex-plane why and why not a peace of gear is better or not. and willing to work out a deal on a purchase. AND YES NO NOT LIE TO ME. Or insult me or my gear or what type of diving I like to do

We have two salesman at my shop. Me and the owner with two different approaches. I think mine is right, he thinks his is right. First, he will answer questions if you ask. But only if you ask. If you don't know what you want or need, you don't know what to ask. I on the other hand ask what you want to do, then show you the best way to do that at price line A. B. & C. depending on your budget.

I'm sorry, if your gear sucks. I'm going to tell you that your gear sucks. But, people know and trust me. I don't blow smoke up your ass. I don't sugar coat things. I attempt to keep you from buying gear twice. It seems to work. But I'll treat you the same whether you spend $5 or $5000 or nothing. I'm an equal opportunity kinda guy.

If there's one thing that really get's me, it's the run around. I know that there are a lot of "preference" issues with this sport, but when it comes to training or a class, the run around shouldn't be there.

After a fiasco happened at a LDS that I went to for training happened, I was in the market looking for a new shop to go to. For one - I live out in the country -and there are only a few shops that are local to me, and the closest one is a Sports Chalet, but I am one that wants to get the best deal that I can - so I will shop around. This particular shop that I went to, when I asked them about prices for an OW class, said, "Well, that depends on what you want to do." But I had already explained to them what I wanted to do, so to me, they either weren't listening, or something. Needless to say, this shop would be about an hour or so away from where I live - and Sports Chalet also beat them on the price and didn't give me the run around. I was there for over an hour and they didn't give me a solid answer that I was happy with.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the previous shop (the one with the fiasco) had package deals, and they were an Oceanic dealer, which I had heard great things about. Sports Chalet - no package deals and they are a little pricey. Maybe for the rest of my gear (when the time comes to purchase), I'll have to go online.

I like when store staff take an interest in me and know roughly my taste. Most of the staff at my LDS wouldn't try to sell me split fins, since they know I don't like them. However, when I go in to the store, they may show me a new pair of split fins that they just got in, but will preface it with "I know split fins aren't really your thing, but we just got these in".

I realize it isn't a big issue, and probably wouldn't make or break my loyalty to the store, but the little things are nice.

simple - loyal to them if they are loyal to me.....

make a profit, but not all of it on me - don't try and blow smoke up my A$$.... Answer my questions, and make professional comments. Listen to me and have an interest in what I am saying/doing/asking. Have a clue what you are talking about. Get off your high horse and be real.

Pretty simple...

Everyone here brings of very valid points. From our shop perspective, We try to be a full service (Sales, Service, Training & Travel) Dive center. There is an old business saying, 100% customer service will put you out of business. Well I say that you should at least try for it! Here is a little insight to our shop. From the Sales side of it, educate staff (we know this is the tough one for majority of places), listen to customer, show all the choices, options/features, explain what you would go with and why, but in the end, choice is up to the customer (pretty simple). Oh, forgot, STOCK GEAR! Service, Full overhaul of regs, get things done in a timely fashion and no cutting corners and communication (findings, delays, etc..) with customer. Training, Give quality classes, but can't expect that if you haven't educated yourself as well and dive outside of teaching. Every couple of years I try to take another class (now the list is getting small but still have some insight) from a quality instructor in the industry and apply things I learned to my training and my staff. Travel, match if not beat anything online, but more importantly, if you don't travel yourself, then really can't pull from good experience to guide people in right direction. We have been all over the world so we really do have good recommendations on who and who not to use. With this approach besides our group travel we do 3 times that in individual travel. Now you have a little insight to a full service Dive center.

The long and short of it, treat others like you would like to be treated. Strange concept?????

In regards to the initial post (there are many posts on this subject), Most of our Manufacturers will indeed only sell parts to it's Dealers and the kits are not to be sold directly to the customer. Most manufacturers also offer repair seminars but you have to work at a shop to attend. There are only a handful of companies that DO allow this practice of selling parts to the customer and allow anyone to attend their repair seminars.

A shop that has your future in mind.

For example when I got into diving, my LDS asked me where I wanted to go in diving, just southern trips in the winter, local year round diving, or something more technical. Fortunately I knew exactly where I want to be, "overhead ice diving, north of Arctic Circle".( it is on my bucket list) so my LDS was straightfoward with me, and told me we only want to sell you what you will need for that. Of course if I insisted, they would sell me all the jacket style bc's I could ever want. But they were honest and told me I would need a tec harness system with good cold water regs and a dry suit. No screwing around with them, and I appreciate it

Also helps that staff freely spends a lot of time with me without me buying anything

So much good information and advice! Hope lots of LDS owners and managers take the time to read all this and then use the info!

Trying to shove the one major brand you carry down my throat! My local LDS, only one for 2 hours, only stocks SP. That is it. Maybe some different flashlights. And they push stuff hard. I really lilke my SP fins, booties and mask. I got those doing my OW through them. I went a different route for a BP/W and regs. They have a limited edition SP MK25 and A600 I believe in a dark chrome or something. SP apparently discontinued that finish. They are asking $300 over MSRP because they say it is "special". So, $1500 for a first and second stage. No thanks. The owner also uses alot of the gear (lights, fins, computers) and then resells it as new. When you are training new divers and the only equipment you carry would cost that diver over $2K just for a reg set, BC, fins, booties, mask and computer you are not going to sell many.

for me:

Lieing/bad service
obvious price gouging/over pricing
questionable business practices

Trying to shove the one major brand you carry down my throat! My local LDS, only one for 2 hours, only stocks SP. That is it. Maybe some different flashlights. And they push stuff hard. I really lilke my SP fins, booties and mask. I got those doing my OW through them. I went a different route for a BP/W and regs. They have a limited edition SP MK25 and A600 I believe in a dark chrome or something. SP apparently discontinued that finish. They are asking $300 over MSRP because they say it is "special". So, $1500 for a first and second stage. No thanks. The owner also uses alot of the gear (lights, fins, computers) and then resells it as new. When you are training new divers and the only equipment you carry would cost that diver over $2K just for a reg set, BC, fins, booties, mask and computer you are not going to sell many.

Sp mk25/a700 black tek. It is limited edition. Our shop has one and I want it just cause it looks awesome but I know it won't breathe any better than the a700 I have now. But it looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom