What is the problem with doing a Scuba Review/Refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on the diver. It's a judgement call that needs to be made by the dive OP.

Blanket policies don't work. I am active duty...I sometimes deploy for over a year. Are you going to make me do a refresher if I come dive with you?

1st dive is a check out dive /Divers required to set up their own equipment while being observed by dive master, easy dive site, being watched by dive master

After check out dive, the dive shop reserves the right to require any diver they deem so to pay for a private dive master / quick refresher

This is fair and reasonable and logical, and eliminates the issues of the unfairness and bad feelings of blanket requirements for refresher courses for divers who have not dive for 2 years but can step right back in quickly and easily compared to divers who haven't dived in 4 months but who are train wrecks

I took a friend diving last year on my private boat who had not dived in 20 years. I loaned him all of the equipment and gave him a quick briefing on how the BC worked, and where the weight releases were. I dove with him and he did as well or better than any of us on his first dive in 20 years. Now the rest of the story is: His prior experience was as a US Navy diver for 11 years. Experience DOES make a difference.

Mike

The only advantage to a simple blanket policy is it's simple for an op to administer. It's going to irritate people who don't need it, especially if it costs money or causes someone to miss regular dives. And miss people who could use it, even though they've been diving within whatever timeframe you set (or lied about it.)

Even free checkout dives can be a problem, especially when they need to be led or observed and the schedule is not flexible. I've been to very popular places where I've gotten there early in the day and could just jump in the water - but they insist on a led shore checkout, and they're not going to do another until the next morning, which also means I miss the boat the next morning. (Last one of these I experienced, to top it off, the DM was bothered that I cleared my mask while hovering instead on kneeling on the bottom. :shakehead: )

The OP like many working instructors acknowledges that there is no 'one ring to control them all'.
*Of course we take experience level into account, there's a very gray area here that we have to take into account.

Numbers do count for something and if an inexperienced diver, with a significant break between dives wants to dive independently, it is a no-brainer that the operator would want to vet the guest before entering in to a 'contract' in which they may face litigation if things go wrong. The price of a scuba review should reflect an instructor's cost. If a 'typical' OW course is run over 4 days for example, divided in to morning and afternoon sessions, then the review price can be extrapolated. This means that a scuba review is treated as an instructional course, run by a professional- not just an extended briefing as has been described by some people on this thread.

Orientation dives are a good way of weeding wheat from chaff. Good people skills can alleviate any tantrums that certain people may throw if they 'fail' the orientation dive. When I ran a dive center in the Maldives, it was very rare that a diver would 'fail'- a compromise could usually be found in not allowing the diver access to advanced/sensitive dive sites, depth and current. Successful and fun dives can be made if the divers are treated like the beginners that they are.

As a tourism diver professional, there are often times where I encounter people who are 'certified but not qualified'. People skills can normally alleviate the situation, but some individuals come away disappointed... but I still manage to sleep at night regardless.

Simply stated, we require proof of recent diving experience, and if someone hasn't been diving for more than 6 months* we ask of the customer to do a Scuba Review before joining the divetrip.

Exactly what do you accept as "proof"? I don't keep a logbook, so are you going to tell me I have to take your "refresher" even though I just made a deco cave dive 5 days before walking into your store?

Reactions: HKu
I just made a deco cave dive 5 days before walking into your store?
If you just did deco cave, it means you have at least cave card. As I know, from Master Diver or higher you should NOT proof when your last dive was.

Reactions: HKu
I had a gap in diving of 20 years. I was always in the water from 15-30 years of age. Then I moved to another country, married, got some kids etc. Diving sort of slipped away. At some point my dear old mom got sick while on Curacao and I had to go overthere and as she was in the hospital I had some time to waiste. I thought about things to do and went diving. I approached a Padi guy, explained my situation and we went diving together. It was my first time with a BCD. Those things didn't exist when we started diving in 1965. The dive went fine, so I did another one next day and that was it.I've been diving since then again, about 50-100 times a year. I stopped logging dives when I was at nr 110.
One of my kids just started last year and did her OW but due to work issues couldn't get around to it and after 11 dives there was a gap of one year. To get going again she took a refresher last week and was happy whit it.
But I did see people on liveaboards, even certified DM's that couldn't put their gear together...

I think the OP would have made me do a refresher after my gap and that would've been fine with me. But there is indeed a grey area...

If you just did deco cave, it means you have at least cave card. As I know, from Master Diver or higher you should NOT proof when your last dive was.

That's not what the OP said was the rule for his shop. I'm trying to get clarification.

Back
Top Bottom