What is the protocol if you find treasure or artifacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If i where to dive off the coast of florirda or the keys and if i where to find a coin or some artifact ,is there some legal course that has to be followed?
What i f your in a marine park?
To this day i have never found anything ,but i would like to know what i can do and not do when it comes to possesion of artifacts.
I know one thing,i would never dig up the reef or destroy the natural settigs where ever i dive.
But i have heard that sometimes after a storm things sometimes get churned up to the top.

According to Mel Fisher in a parking lot, "don't tell anyone."

The entire Florida Keys is a Marine Sanctuary and is protected from any removal of artifacts unless you obtain a Sanctuary Permit. The process is quite detailed and requires a 12 page application which includes funding, preservation, and proof you have qualified person on staff. Even after this you must notify the Sanctuary when an artifact is found BEFORE removing it.

Regardless of parking lot talk, I'd ensure I have the correct permits and permissions in place before undertaking such ventures.

The best place to look for items that may have washed up on the beach after a storm is around Ft. Pierce. If coins are found on the beach and not in the water then those are free for the taking, but again make sure you're on the beach, not in the water, and not on private property.

Good Diving/Hunting,

Run!!!!!!!

Silence is golden

You have to tell the government so they can drop your application and higher professional salvagers who will steal it from you. lol

What happens underwater stays underwater

Please, be aware that almost anything you find under water will need to be conservated or the artifact will be ruined in days, months or years. So if you don't know preciely what you do - and have the necessary permits (might vary substantial from place to place - even within one country) leave it. And let somebody else also enjoy the sight and re-discovery. Also the history is intimately linked with the Exact place of discovery. An old shoe on the surface is just a piece of brittle decaying leather on the surface but an important part of a history when all information is maintained. Learn about marin archeology and read about great finds - eventell the local museum - but Leave it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom