What is the the best (affordable) Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please don't buy into the Suunto is so conservative it will cut your dive short BS. Where the Suunto's get this reputation from is they tended to penalize your NDL's on multiple dives if you have less than a hour of surface time and once you get into deco they tend to start racking up more deco time than other computers. Recreational computers shouldn't be used to plan technical dives. I did a week long dive trip using a Gekko and made between 4-6 dives per day, averaging 55 minutes each, without it ever cutting me short or putting me into deco. That's because I had reasonable surface intervals and planned my dives. I've used several different computers and most the modern ones work great for recreational diving. BTW, I still have the Gekko and use it as a bottom timer and to track info for technical dives.

Please don't buy into the Suunto is so conservative it will cut your dive short BS. Where the Suunto's get this reputation from is they tended to penalize your NDL's on multiple dives if you have less than a hour of surface time

I dove a Suunto and an Aeries on a recent trip (the Suunto is mine, the other was on the rental regs). For the first three days of the trip I never got near an NDL so it didn't matter- at the end of the trip, I'd notice the Suunto was down to single digit minutes and the Aeries still had 20+ on it. Of course, going up 5-10 feet got me plenty more time on the Suunto so it really didn't matter; but I never had less than an hour surface interval (often 2 hours; since my surface interval began well before most of the group since they stayed down longer than me due to air consumption) and only dove twice a day. So the more conservative thing isn't really that BS if you want to dive deep. I never went below 75 feet max depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom