What is the true color of your sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark green in the winter when the plankton is down and the glaciers are frozen.

Emerald green in the summer when we have plankton and glacier runoff.

Grey if you get near a glacier drainage and brown in May when the spring spawn hits.

Dave

ah... sort of browngreen marbled murky stuff most of the time

but it can be nice, more-or-less-blue-green some of the time

Gee, I always thought the color of the ocean was "transparent" since whenever I look at a glass of it, I can see right through it. I think we're talking here about the colors introduced by phytoplankton, sediments, fish poopies and the like.

Mine varies from pea green during phytoplankton blooms and leptopel discharges to fairly transparent during those rare days of winter 100+ ft vis.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Brown on the upper Texas Coast, turning to green on the lower coast. Fewer riverine discharges down south to deliver silts, and we're farther from the Mississippi plume.

I have my students measure water colour every fall down in Port Aransas. I think they routinely report values around XV or something.

Gee, I always thought the color of the ocean was "transparent" since whenever I look at a glass of it, I can see right through it. I think we're talking here about the colors introduced by phytoplankton, sediments, fish poopies and the like.

Aw, MAN! And I was going to guess "Blue!" :11:

(Just teasing ya Dr. Bill!)

Actually, my water (fresh) is clear.... I mean REALLY CLEAR. (Although... it is kinda bluish turquoise in the deep spots.)

Donnie

<--- You tell me :D
That was taken last weekend after a snowstorm though...in the summer its more blue/green...

grazie42:
<--- You tell me :D
That was taken last weekend after a snowstorm though...in the summer its more blue/green...

how pretty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom