What is the TUSA equivalent to SP MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the TUSA equivelent to a Scubapro mk17? I ask because it seems I've read Tusa makes scubapro so I figure there most be an overlap.

People screw this up and or mis-state it all the time, so let's be clear:

1. Scubapro designs its own regs then contracts with Tabata to manufacture their designs. It makes sense for Scubapro to do that as Tabata has state of the art manufacturing facilities that would not be economic for Scubapro to acquire and maintain for just the volume of regs they sell. It does not mean Tabata "makes" Scubapro regs in the design sense. It's a Scubapro product with Scubapro patents that they subcontract to someone else to produce.

2. Under some of the manufacturing agreements, Tabata has in the past sold licensed copies of Scuabpro designs through TUSA. TUSA = Tabata USA. Note the capitals letters here and the name makes sense. Tabata did this for over a decade with the Mk 5 and also sold the MK 16 R390 as the RS-460. The MK 16 is the R-400 first stage in the TUSA catalog and the R390 is the S-60 second stage.

In that regard, the possibility may exist for TUSA to market a copy of the Mk 17 once Scubapro's exlcusive rights under the manufacturing agreement expires, but that may or may not happen.

Halcyon has recently announced plans to sell the MK 17 as the H-50D first stage and the Mk 25 and the H-75P as well as the R390 as the Aura and the G250V as the Halo. Deliveries are supposed to start by the end of March 2010.

I doubt there will be any price advantage to buying the Halcyon regs, though, as there might be with TUSA versions.

I was considering the TUSA as I feel like the scubapro maintence parts are exhobrently high! Thus I figured getting the TUSA equivelent to an MK17 might be a good route and save on maintence in the future.

I was considering the TUSA as I feel like the scubapro maintence parts are exhobrently high! Thus I figured getting the TUSA equivelent to an MK17 might be a good route and save on maintence in the future.
Scubapro has an update kit for all of the Mk 16s that updates them internally to Mk 17 status with a new seat/seat carrier and orifice. The Mk 11 is an unsealed Mk 17, or in other words the equivalent of the a Mk 16 with an extra high pressure port. But in essence after you upgrade a Mk 16, the Mk 11, Mk 16 and Mk 17 all have identical performance.

As far as I know Halcyon has the same pricing restrictions as Scubapro in that a dealer ability to discount anything is severly limited, so I suspect the regs will cost the same whether they have an S or an H on them.

OK, here's the next line of questions.

Can you use the R400 kit to service an MK16?

If so, Can you use the R400 kit to service an mk16 that has been upgraded to an mk17?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom