What is this, anemone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I took this in the shallows last week in Bonaire. I'm guessing it's an anemone of some sort, but does anyone know specifically what it is called?

bonaire-2010-05.jpg

I don't, but I've seen them there too. They are incredibly beautiful! That one is already starting
to retract from the light.

There were a few of them scattered around the sandy bottom. The first one started to close up after a few seconds of light being shone on it. So I went to the next one and took a few quick shots and it pretty well started to close up right away as well.

Possibly a cerianthid anemone? Not real familiar with the critters in Bonaire.

Lovely picture of one, by the way...it is clearly a tube anemone, but may be a different species.

Almost certainly a cerianthid (tube-dwelling) anemone. Usually they only extend out their tentacles to feed at night. I presume you took this photo on a night dive? However, I recently returned from Curacao and saw two that were out in broad daylight. I have never observed this before.

By the way, that is a stunning photo.

Definitely some variety of a tube nem - great photo

Back
Top Bottom