What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My safety gear includes: My common sense, side slung pony, sausage, whistle, two cutting tools (knife and shears) and a B/U flashlight. I also have a compass (is it safety gear or just standard gear?) and for deeper dives I might carry a b/u mask in my drysuit pocket.

I don't know if a long hose counts as safety gear (per se) as much as just a different regulator configuration. I use a 5' primary with bungied B/U myself.

Thanks for the info on gear config. For the spare mask, what do you consider a deep dive. I have heard on one diver doing that but dont know how deep.

Thanks for the info on gear config. For the spare mask, what do you consider a deep dive. I have heard on one diver doing that but dont know how deep.

If for some reason you lost your mask, from what depth would you be comfortable making a controlled ascent? Some factors to include are do you need to make a safety stop, and how attentive is your buddy to helping you know the depth of that stop since you likely can't read your gauges.

If for some reason you lost your mask, from what depth would you be comfortable making a controlled ascent? Some factors to include are do you need to make a safety stop, and how attentive is your buddy to helping you know the depth of that stop since you likely can't read your gauges.

And for those who use computers/bottom timers, from what depth would you be comfortable diving without your computer/bottom timer/depth gauge? For example, if you rely on your computer for depth or ascent rate, as shoredivr points out, you can't read it. If you rely on your computer to count down your mandatory safety stop, you won't know how long you're doing your safety stop.

So... it's great to rely on your buddy for help, but my rule of thumb would be that if I wasn't comfortable leaving my depth/timing device on the boat, I wouldn't be comfortable diving without at least one member of the team carrying a spare mask. Preferably me.

Maybe they don't teach this skill any more, but you can cup your hands against your forehead and exhale some air, creating an air pocket in front of your eyes just like a mask. I used to carry a spare mask on all dives, but in over 1400 dives I've never had my mask come off, so now I leave it at home.

I've tried that trick a few times max but haven't mastered it yet; more practice I guess.
As for the mask thing, as the others said. A fair portion of my dives are long but shallow and if I did lose a mask I would just ascend directly. My B/U is a low profile and fits easily in my thigh pocket so I don't notice it.

I gotta put something in there!

Maybe they don't teach this skill any more, but you can cup your hands against your forehead and exhale some air, creating an air pocket in front of your eyes just like a mask. I used to carry a spare mask on all dives, but in over 1400 dives I've never had my mask come off, so now I leave it at home.

The only time my mask ever came off was when I was with my deco instructor. In fact, it came off on two different training dives.

Although he won't admit it, I think it might have had help. It never came off before and hasn't come off since. :D

Terry

Tried it, and gave myself a headache trying to focus that close to my face.

I had a mask that was leaking due to poor fit. I eventually got sick of it and switched to my backup mask. A rare event and it involved new, relatively untested equipment. It's the only time I've deployed my backup mask in a non-testing/training environment.

I can still imagine a ton of scenarios where a mask could get lost, especially if the strap breaks. I don't consider a spare necessary for no-deco diving though.

:rofl3: Ok. I found out what it was on google in the end. I have *never* seen one of them before! Not even in shops...

I will sell you mine cheap :D. I have not read all the "againsts but tack me on with the against crowd.

I always carry on all dives a vhf radio in a otter box, Dive alert, safety sausage w 90' finger spool, knife, scissors, mirror, jon line a 30cu pony for dives over 60'. I started carrying the vhf radio about 5-6 yrs. ago and caught all kinds of noise about what a waste it was to bring it when I mentioned carrying the radio on this board and now it's a recomended item in most safety articles I read today. If the equipment doesn't interfere with your diving what is wrong with carrying something that could save your life. I'd rather have it and never use it than say I wish I would've brought it with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom