What is your favorite shoe for scuba, and why are they Crocs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This'll sound weird, but I use my retired Birkenstocks.

Advantages:

1. They're free. I'd have thrown them out.
2. Slip on and off easily.

Disadvantages:

1. I imagine they'd be slippery on a boat deck. By the time I retire them, the sole is flat. But when I'm boat diving I either am already half-dressed in a suit (including boots) or barefoot (in the tropics, where boats tend to insist on dropping shoes).
2. With heavy drysuit socks on, they're a little tight. (But I usually only but the dry suit socks on immediately before putting on the suit, so it's not a big deal.
3. The salt water finishes them off pretty quickly. Even so, I live in Birks most of the year, so I usually wear out a pair in time to replace the ones I use diving.
4. In the coldest and wettest weather, I'm wearing boots. There isn't a perfect shoe in that situation.

Why do things like an American brand regulator need to be double the price in the US? Answer:
To subsidize the massive costs of liability insurance in North America

So glad this thread has started.
I started w crocs ages back for dive boats.
Now I don’t wear anything else.
But…you need to get the industrial ones. Think they’re called bistro pro. Only in black and white. You need to drill the holes yourself.
But they’re made out of thicker material that lasts years (and I’m a big guy, I can trash a normal pair in months) and they have these no slip soles that will stick to wet glass.

I don’t care how I look, I’m a convert.
And I get gout. They rattle around so there’s loads of room for my fat toe!
why drill the holes? I use the Bistro Pros, and the fact they don't have holes, is one of my favourite parts. No sand, snow, slush, or mud getting on my socks when diving dry. Equally important here shore diving in Canada, or in the Caribbean

why drill the holes? I use the Bistro Pros, and the fact they don't have holes, is one of my favourite parts. No sand, snow, slush, or mud getting on my socks when diving dry. Equally important here shore diving in Canada, or in the Caribbean
I drill the holes because they don’t come w holes….
But really…my feet sweat too much if I don’t.
I have an un-drilled pair for very bad weather (snow, it happens) but I live in the south of Spain where bad weather mostly means drought and 40c heat

If you could buy that Mercedes or Bentley for half the price in Europe than in the US, is that considered a ripoff in the US?
I think this is more to the point. Why do things like an American brand regulator need to be double the price in the US? Answer: because they can.
All Americans are filthy rich so it doesn’t matter, at least that’s how the rest of the world sees it.
Seems like a ripoff to me what some brands are doing. I really wonder why Apeks, xdeep, Santi, etc. are so much more expensive in the States and a brand like Rofos isn't.

BTW: I'm not sure it's true for cars. AFAIK at least VW used to be cheaper in the States.

Back
Top Bottom