What is your favourite food during trip to Indonesia ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
These most popular ones may help to refresh your memory – nasi goreng (fried rice), gado gado (vegetable w/ peanut sauce), rendang/nasi padang, coto Makasar, babi guling (suckling pig), sate ayam/kambing (chicken/mutton satay), sate pesut, bubur ayam (chicken porridge), bubur manado, Ikan bakar Jimbaran/manado/makasar(grilled fish – jimbaran/manado/makasar style), Indomie Instant noodle (special menu LOB), Ayam Taliwang with pelecing kangkung (grilled or fried baby chicken with hot spicy water spinach), sop buntut (oxtail soup)….yummy yummy I am hungry:jaws:
Still can’t remember – just give a description …

This was good, whatever it was...I was focused on the ring and the man
oh...but I think I see satay and peanut sauce with mongolian chili oil! that salad did not suck either, pecans and grated parmesan, AND the whole dinner was about ten dollars and the service was always sincere and fantastic!
DSC_0199.jpg

and anything served by these guys to the love shack...

DSC_0018-4.jpg

DSC_0022-2.jpg

next time I'll try to pay more attention, cause the stuff you describes sounds great. They need some help on the coffee though, good thing I brought the Kona.

babi guling (suckling pig):11:

We had spicy fried noodles (is that nasi padang?) with a red, very hot, spicy relish to go on it. That was my favorite, although we had curried fish that was yummy, too. I don't think I ate any Indonesian food I didn't like.

Catherine, I thought Indo. had the best coffee in the world? I bought several kilos in the old market in Manado last time I was there. Zip-locked it up and it was fantastic!

TSandM:
We had spicy fried noodles (is that nasi padang?) with a red, very hot, spicy relish to go on it. That was my favorite, although we had curried fish that was yummy, too. I don't think I ate any Indonesian food I didn't like.

No, Not Nasi Padang - no noodles in Padang food menu. I don't think you will get nasi padang from any hotel restaurant/room service except in west sumatra. You should go to Padang restaurant or stall; they will serve you steamed rice with various dishes , 5 - 10 dishes small portion, on the table - all very hot and spicy; you pay what you take.

I would love to go back to Indonesia and have more of a chance to see a little of the country and the people, and not just the resorts (although the resorts were fabulous and beautiful).

My friend and I got some beef satay from a street vendor in Labuan Bajo...It wasn't bad! I'm terrible about trying new stuff when I'm overseas, but I picked at a few things I had no idea what it was!! It was all good!

great thread. When I travel, I make sure I can do 2 things. Try new food and try new dives.
You should go to Padang restaurant or stall; they will serve you steamed rice with various dishes , 5 - 10 dishes small portion, on the table - all very hot and spicy; you pay what you take.
Winsu, any chance you can give me the name of a place like this in South Bali. Or if anyone else has any food recommendations for Bali, that would be great. Not interested in the stuff from the guide books, I want the real good stuff! I hear the food rivals the diving in indonesia...

I love the spicy fried noodles and veggies. Both Raja Ampat and Lembeh served them up. The locals were surprised we liked it so much as they deem in "poor folks food". I don't care, it's good.

TSandM, NASI is bahasa indonesian for rice, noodles are called MIE. If it wasn't nasi padang you had, perhaps it was nasi GORENG; goreng means fried.

One of my favorite dishes is AYAM SAMBAL MATAH, a tasty spicy delight. Ayam is chicken, sambal is the chili sauce which is not to be taken lightly. I've had sambal here in the US and it was in no way related to the kine Balinese! Matah, I'm not sure what that means but mati means dead, so it could be a warning about how very spicy this dish is!

Also, I've really enjoyed anything I've gotten from a padang. Don't be thrown off by the large bowls of food standing all day in the front display window in the sun, just point to what looks good and perhaps don't ask what it actually is!

food1.jpg

Pamela

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom