What item of equipment was a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving over 20 years and have a bunch of old equipment. I read Rodales evaluations and thought that maybe it was time to update my gear with the latest and greatest. I bought and then sold the stuff on ebay, so no real loss. The six-window Mares Esa mask was really disconcerting with the six viewing planes plus six windows of fogginess. I'm back to my black rubber oval mask and loving it. The Mares Quattro-plana fins were too long to fit in my dive bag. I tried them twice and the quick release buckle released both times. I went back to my black rubber USD Rockets.

One of those little lights that clips to my mask so it shines in my field of vision.

Anyone ever used one? Can you tell me why this is a bad idea? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

kevink once bubbled...
Air2 - -
I like LOVE Scubapro, don't misread this. My two regs are from them (Mk2+/R190 & Mk25/G500). Using an Air2 for something other than a classroom aid, or practicing in the pool is lunacy. Has anyone had an OOA and used one of these for real? Everytime I see it on my wife's BC I want to go the the LSD shop that sold it to us and heave it through the plate glass window. I was young, innocent, and did not know better about these. If you want to trim a hose off you regulator that bad maybe you should look at Air Integrated computers.

I have nothing special against the Air-2, but I think the entire concept of teaching students that a buddy with a spare 2nd stage (Air-2 or Octo) will keep them safe is a Bad Thing.

Buddies tend to wander a little, and even 10 feet is a long way to go when you're not breathing.

If I'm out of air (for whatever reason), I don't want to have to look any further than the pony bottle regulator clipped to my BC.

I know it's another piece of equipment, but unless you're diving with a buddy you know and trust, and who stays close, the idea that you can use your buddy's spare 2nd is a false sense of security.

kevink once bubbled...

Air2... Has anyone had an OOA and used one of these for real?

I have. No big whoop. I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so against Air2's (in a non-overhead environment.)

I bought the $20 dive float and flag instead of the $40 model. After my first dive I came up and saw that the pole and flag were missing and that I had been dragging the weight and float around! I went back and bought the $40 one the next day and it stays together.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
One of those little lights that clips to my mask so it shines in my field of vision.

Anyone ever used one? Can you tell me why this is a bad idea? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I don't have one myself, but I've heard that one drawback is if you turn to look at your buddy, you're shining the light directly at him/her, potentially blinding them/losing nightvision.

Used Regulators before I knew better on Ebay, lots of people sell their crap (despite the threat it poses to other divers) ZeN

gfisher4792 once bubbled...

I don't have one myself, but I've heard that one drawback is if you turn to look at your buddy, you're shining the light directly at him/her, potentially blinding them/losing nightvision.
Didn't have that problem, but I did discover quickly that all of the little flatworms and bugs and copepods and whatever little thingies that are attracted to your light on a night dive are directly IN YOUR FACE when your light is there. Pleh, NOT a pleasant way to dive. :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom