What kind of car do you use in the winter in Ma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. My wife is going to look at a Prius today. I'm stuck with paperwork. :(

We haven't stepped inside a Subie showroom yet and the wife is already saying she hates the way the new Forester looks. I think it's going to be a long process...

Thanks guys. My wife is going to look at a Prius today. I'm stuck with paperwork. :(

We haven't stepped inside a Subie showroom yet and the wife is already saying she hates the way the new Forester looks. I think it's going to be a long process...
Did you have any thoughts it would be otherwise ?

:wink:

good luck :)

WOW. So many Subaru drivers around here. Surprising. With everyone being divers I would think that some of you guys actually need to tow something, like a boat...

Did you have any thoughts it would be otherwise ?

:wink:

good luck :)

LOL! :rofl3:

Did I tell you that she's a gorgeous red head? A hybrid Porsche 911 is what she would order.

Cheers,

X

UPDATE: The wife just came back from her test ride and had these following comments:

The pros:

1. Cool technology
2. Visionary thinking

The bad:

1. The driver is removed from the experience of driving!
2. Visibility is obscured by the rear window, as well as the "penny vanes" at the front of the car
3. Rides like a golf cart
4. The rear window on the test model was busted - this did not help with the impression of a well-built car

Prius Third Gen - eliminated...onto another vehicle.

X

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and find a mid-to-late 90's Subaru Legacy Wagon, 5-speed with AWD and a 2.2L bullet proof engine. You'll save yourself a tremendous amount of money and you can average 30mpg if you drive responsibly. You'll replace the occasional CV axle but it will let you know well ahead of time. I've had two Legacys and an Impreza and we've taken them to the 300,000 range with pretty much routine maintenance. Clearance has never been an issue and snow doesn't even make them pause. I once towed a Uhaul trailer with my '91 Legacy(FWD) wagon up a steep hill in a snow storm with bald tires (college days) and the car never hesitated. Just stay away from automatics and the 2.5 liter Outback engine. Head gaskets are disposable on them.
As for the earlier comment on the Toyota Tacoma, I had one and it was great. Toyota makes the best trucks, hands down. I just needed something with a backseat that could fit a carseat. My two seater truck wasn't going to do it. I still miss her.....

stay away from automatics and the 2.5 liter Outback engine. Head gaskets are disposable on them.

My research prior to purchasing my used 2003 Outback indicated that the 2.5L engine head gasket issues were resolved that year, to great extent, with an improved head gasket design and special coolant additives.

I can't find anything online to indicate that 2003 and later 2.5L engines are having significant head gasket problems.

Have you had such problems with those newer engines?

I like the automatic transmission for convenience mostly, despite slightly reduced fuel economy. What's your issue with them?

Dave C

Pre-2003 Subaru 2.5L head gasket issues:

Subaru Problems - Class Action Information - Defective 2.5L Subaru Engines and Coolant Leaks

Car Talk - Subaru 2.5 L engine - the worst engine ever?

Subaru Head Gasket Problems Explained. - Seattle Subaru Repair

I live in the western part of the state, near Quabbin, where we get a LOT of snow and ice, and work in surgery. Means when I get a call to go in for an emergency, can't wait for the roads to be plowed. Front wheel drive did the trick mostly, but too low to the ground when the snow is piled high. Switched to a Rav this year. Will never drive anything else now and it will be the next car for my dive buddy too. Back seats go forward and create a well to stand tanks upright. There are a couple of wells under the rear cargo area. Fits my 63's and much of my other gear. Means I can take 4 divers and gear with plenty of leg room for all. Not bad for a mini SUV. It rides so smooth, I have to keep a close eye on speed, but TRYING to keep it in the 70 mph range, averaged @ 27-29 highway, packed with dive gear. Great rep for dependability. When I was looking for used, was told they don't come up at auction often and are snapped up quickly. I have the very basic version, but lots of bells and whistles available and an option for enough horsepower to tow a boat if you want. Worth a test drive. Plus side, NOT AWD like suburu. Goes into 4 wheel as needed or you can lock it into 4 wheel if wanted.

Do yourself a favor and find a mid-to-late 90's Subaru Legacy Wagon, 5-speed with AWD and a 2.2L bullet proof engine. You'll save yourself a tremendous amount of money and you can average 30mpg if you drive responsibly. You'll replace the occasional CV axle but it will let you know well ahead of time. I've had two Legacys and an Impreza and we've taken them to the 300,000 range with pretty much routine maintenance. Clearance has never been an issue and snow doesn't even make them pause. I once towed a Uhaul trailer with my '91 Legacy(FWD) wagon up a steep hill in a snow storm with bald tires (college days) and the car never hesitated. Just stay away from automatics and the 2.5 liter Outback engine. Head gaskets are disposable on them.
As for the earlier comment on the Toyota Tacoma, I had one and it was great. Toyota makes the best trucks, hands down. I just needed something with a backseat that could fit a carseat. My two seater truck wasn't going to do it. I still miss her.....

The headgasket issue was fixed around 2004. Also the wife's 3.0 H6 sixcyl. gets the same MPG as the 2.2 I put in my Outback (25-30) and is just as bulletproof as the 2.2. A H6 can be had in an Outback. I think a Outback with an H6 could tow a 16 -18' foot boat or a larger inflatable. The automatics are well.... automatics and have more ways to fail than a 5 speed. You will not however find the best of both worlds.
Subaru never configured a H6 with a manual transmission.:(

I like driving 5-speeds. I feel like you have better control and makes you more involved with driving, something I think people need more of. As for the Subaru automatics, I've heard bad things about them from Subaru fans. I've never had one because of their reputations. Maybe Subaru fixed them. I like the fuel efficiency and bullet-proof nature of the 2.2L engine and I've never had the clearance issues that others here have mentioned. I once plowed out of a driveway with 2 feet of snow on the ground and plowed up bank on top of that in my '94 Impreza. The biggest thing I like about Subarus, though, is their longevity. My current Legacy has almost 250,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. I drive every vehicle I get until the wheels fall off (or a transaxle goes). Part of our current economic crisis is this idea that people need brand new cars every couple of years. Can you imagine how much more money you'd have to dive with if you didn't have a car payment? Luckily for me, there are enough people out there buying new stuff all the time that I can get a used Subaru every five or six years and keep my vehicle expenses as low as possible. In case you're wondering, I've compared costs and my system is far cheaper, assuming that you don't mind changing your own oil and doing some wrench turning. Front CV axles are pretty easy, as are brakes.

I'm not sure that Subie autotrans are worst or better that others. The rest of the car however lasts so long, I've got almost 300K on mine, that auto I'm stupid issues are almost a sure thing. My 5spd'd shifter assembly is needing replacement or repair it's getting really sloppy. It's on it's 3rd clutch also, the 5spd problems are easier to deal with than the autos. I haunt a Subaru forum also, lot of guys there swear by TRANS-X for high mileage Subie trans that don't shift smooth. I'd guess it works for others also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom