What kind of car do you use in the winter in Ma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note: You will always heve better/finer wheel control with a manual trans, I've proved it many times to my friends and others, in both my old trucks .. my new one has an auto :( (no manual available in a 1/2 ton Chevy, almost was a deal breaker))

Go up to the ski areas in NH and you will see tons of Volvo XC70s. We have had the AWD Volvos since 2001 and have loved them, all are more than capable of any inclement weather and can hold a ton of gear. The XC70s are capable of holding upright al80s, a huge space saver and mine is still running great at 130,000 miles. Our stable is now:
2001 XC70
2005 XC70
2006 XC90
2009 S40r which gets ~30mpg highway

While this is not necessarily a diving question - I do notice a lot of 4WD Subaru and similar when I am in Cape Ann. As I commute a bit on I-95 I am thinking of getting a new car with some decent mileage and decent traction during those slushy, icy Cape Ann/Gloucester days.

So, does anyone drive a hybrid Prius, or have I got-out-of-trouble stories revolving around a Subaru? I did take my VW out there during Feb. to go diving and while it's not the greatest, it did OK on the roads.

X

Unless you do offroading there is not need to buy any special car for winter. The key point is to have good snow tires. That's the key point. I drove both RWD and FWD cars and both could go on the ice only if they have good snow tires. FWD requires more complicated handling though

For RWD cars LSD helps a lot. If you get leather seats , heated seats option is a must or you will freeze your butt out :)

Manual transmission is a killer in winter conditions. Both our cars have manual trans (thanks God I have a wife who drives manual:) ) and I do not even think about getting back to auto

Last edited:
Note: You will always heve better/finer wheel control with a manual trans, I've proved it many times to my friends and others, in both my old trucks .. my new one has an auto :( (no manual available in a 1/2 ton Chevy, almost was a deal breaker))

yeah manual transmission makes a big difference

The volvos we have are all on all-season pirelli tires, and have never been stuck anywhere FWIW.

I am not sure why the US seems to have largely moved away from snow tires - perhaps since "all season" tires save time and money...but are not really perfect for summer or winter. 30 years ago most folks still used snow tires, but I guess improved technology made this supposedly unnecessary.

After spending most of my life in New England, I just spent 3 years living in Switzerland. Snow tires are required by law during the cold months, whether you are living up in the mountains or not. At the same time it is mandatory to switch to your warm weather tires after the winter is over (better grip and mileage in warmer weather). If you have an accident during the winter without snow tires on, you will receive a rather large fine and your insurance company may not cover the damages. Winter tires provide better grip even on dry roads, as the rubber is made for colder temps.

Winter tires make a huge difference.....having driven in the Alps quite a bit over the past few years I can say this with confidence. For most of New England a front wheel drive car with snow tires will get you safely where you need to go for all but those 3-4 big snow days we have each year.

Chris

I like the control and stabilty I get from AWD along with the increased ground clearence of and Outback 1.9 feet. Putting snowtires on all four wheels isn't needed.
The torque control works on every surface but ice.
Glad I live where I can decide what I'm driving on.

I have a toyota highlander hybrid. came with me from MT. Was great out here last winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom