What Kind of Insta-buddy Experience Do You Prefer

What Buddy Pairing do you prefer on benign condition dives?

• 1.) 'Team Diving' (e.g.: what I read in discussions of DIR, GUE, etc...).

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • 2.) Closely structuring buddy pair (e.g.: don't get over 10 feet apart, frequently monitor).

Votes: 46 21.8%
  • 3.) Loose buddy pair (e.g.: occasionally glance over, can be 20 feet apart + or 1).

Votes: 48 22.7%
  • 4.) Part of a group following a guide (e.g.: if you had OOA, you'd approach someone).

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • 5.) Same day, same ocean (e.g.: if we get separated, we each continue our dives).

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • 6.) Planned solo (e.g.: redundant gas source & cutting tools are my buddy).

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • 7.) Other (please elaborate in your post).

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd prefer really effective buddy who was right there. Typically actually I dive solo since I get macro photographers or other terrible buddies.

Yes, now I must use my girlfriend as my main photo subject and pay attention to her instead of all of the other fascinating creatures down there.

Have you ever had a "buddy" who literally spends 20 minutes where he will not not look away from the viewfinder where he's looking at one particular clump of interesting stuff on the bottom?

Thanks, I'll just dive solo.

While self-reliance is a good thing regardless of the buddy situation, I think it worthwhile to explore what you want/expect out of the buddy system in your diving.

So, in the unlikely event your buddy gets separated, and assuming he/she didn't look elderly, sickly, etc...what would you prefer to be the practice? Continue your self-reliant dive as a solo dive & assume they're doing the same? Surface if buddy isn't found within 1 minute, try to signal the boat & push to start a lost diver search? What do you want to happen?

Richard.
Both of us being self-reliant (we are in the perfect boat, right?), we agree on that stuff before splash. Generally, I enjoy a buddy to share the experience, not to provide me with a sense of security.

If it is benign I do not need a pony bottle... if I am home I am wearing doubles - If I am traveling I am not worried about a pony or doubles. I am diving my rig and regs with a single tank to 100 + feet.

Your scenario pretty much describes the situation with the dive op I frequent, and I really like it that way. It is essentially a group dive, and while some people buddy up, I'm a single, and have never been required to - I "buddy" with the DM, knowing that I am really diving solo with a group (the DM/guide has other things to concentrate on, although I try to stay within 10-15 feet or so of the DM). So I dive as a #6 with redundant air. The couple of times I did try using an instabuddy, both were useless. My instabuddies just took off on their own. Now we did debrief and both did apologize after the dive, but it was then that I decided to sling an extra bottle of gas for all future dives. Even though the DMs are constantly checking on us, I plan to watch out for myself as well. I have requested help (non-emergency - e.g., I dropped a weight and another diver helped me find it) from other divers while at depth, and I would help any diver who requested my help. But i have no intention of relying on a stranger in an OOA situation.

I prefer to stay close and have my buddy stay close, not more than 10 ft away. This is my preference when I'm diving in my local quarry with my usual buddy whom I trust very much. This is also my preference with an insta-buddy when I'm diving on vacation. I try to cover weights, releases, hand signals, and goals for the dive before we splash. I haven't discussed what to do if we get separated but my preference is to search for two minutes or more depending on local conditions. I won't dive solo even if the dive op gives me permission since I don't have an alternate gas supply with me. On group dives I make sure I stay not more than 10 ft from someone in the group. Sometimes the distance is more and sometimes less depending on how I feel and how far I think I can swim to that buddy for help.

I voted before I've seen your conditions. Under your stipulation, close buddy pair would be my preference. in real life I'm working to get down to option 6.

Back
Top Bottom