What kind of People are Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durian:
I would like to state that I distinguished between those who dived a few times and those who are "Divers". I don't mean to generalize to the point that I am including every person who has ever gone diving. I am writing about that group that are "Divers". Perhaps we could call the first group "Novice Divers".
I refer to those peolpe with cert cards in the wallet, who only get wet during their annual week in Coz, "vacation" or "casual" divers.

3 dives per year for the last 5 years does not, in my estimation, a diver make.......

durian:
I would like to state that I distinguished between those who dived a few times and those who are "Divers". I don't mean to generalize to the point that I am including every person who has ever gone diving. I am writing about that group that are "Divers". Perhaps we could call the first group "Novice Divers".

Some of them have been certified for years, and make their annual pilgrimage to Club Med, where they are led around by the nose by a DM.

I do understand the distinction, but 'novice' isn't the separating term. You're talking about the difference between divers and people who are certified to dive. Unfortunately, the number of the latter has grown to where the former have a hard time avoiding them without investing tens of thousands of dollars in cave diving equipment.

sea nmf:
I've been diving for 15 years. I dive regularly. I started in the Seattle area and did most of my diving there.

I am not a risk taker! I don't consider diving "that" risky. I have been described as a leader but I don't like that label or that role.

How do you respond to difficulties and challenges?

It's not about risk addiction, or leadership, per se.
It's about having a capable and self reliant approach to life. You mentioned gender and your moniker would tend to indicate you're female, so put it this way - are you the type who falls apart if there's not a man around to solve the current problem? No? Then you're probablyu what was meant by risk taker, leader, independent, etc.

FreeFloat:
I refer to those peolpe with cert cards in the wallet, who only get wet during their annual week in Coz, "vacation" or "casual" divers.

3 dives per year for the last 5 years does not, in my estimation, a diver make.......

I like the term "underwater tourists" (a phrase not coined by me)
:monkeydan

dweeb:
How do you respond to difficulties and challenges?

It's not about risk addiction, or leadership, per se.
It's about having a capable and self reliant approach to life. You mentioned gender and your moniker would tend to indicate you're female, so put it this way - are you the type who falls apart if there's not a man around to solve the current problem? No? Then you're probablyu what was meant by risk taker, leader, independent, etc.

I disagree with your assessment. Just because I don't "fall apart" does not mean I'm a risk taker, leader, independent, etc. The definitions of the words do not equate to your use of them here, even in context, with the exception of "independant". I will claim that adjective to describe me, but not the other two.

I bring up gender because I think women may have different reasons for beginning to dive, in general. At least it has been my experience with different dive buddies that the approach is usually distinctly different.

If we're into generalizations I'll offer up this one:

a) women get into diving primarily out of curiosity;
b) men get into diving primarily due to the perceived "risk" or at least "challenge".

How's that for a blanket statement? :eyebrow:

durian:
silly question? Are we all types from all walks of life? Probably but I would venture to say that there is something unique about the diving commuinity. In my humble opinion, I think divers may be people who are proactive, risk takers, leaders, very independent. Maybe this is a horrible generalization....if I was honest I would add serious drinking (joke)
If you were going to commit the horrible sin of generalization, how would you generalize divers?
I think your assessment sounds about right! However, I do believe there is a distinguishing factor, like those who assert their achievments and have a true passion for the sport do take it further by becoming AOW, Rescue divers, DM, & Instructors and yes we do enjoy a social occasion or two..

If we are doing blanket statements how about multiple choice

Question #1
Shore divers are ...
A. Too cheap to pay for a boat ride
B. In better shape than boat divers
C. Are prone to seasickness

Question #2
Divers take a leak in ...
A. Their wetsuit
B. The ocean
C. The bar after the dive

Question #3
Serious divers drink...
A. Water from their BC to check for saltiness
B. A shot of tequila through their snorkel
C. Straight from the ocean

I consider myself a serious diver, even though I have not logged a ton of dives since certification the lasr week of June. I work 3 hours from home. Work 3 or 4 12 hr days a week. I am only off 2 weekends out of 4. My local LDS dives every weekend, but I do need to see my family occasionally, especially my wife. Last weekend I took vacation to dive with the LDS. Did 8 dives 40' fw max over 2 days. Had to drive 2 hours to the dive site. If I lived closer to a good place to dive, or could find someone that was off in the middle of the week, I'd dive more.

Back to the thread. I think that most divers that I have met are bonded by the enjoyment of the amazing world that has opened up underwater since learning to dive.

I don´t think number of dives/year really tells you how "comitted" a diver a person is either. I´ve been averaging about 20 dives/year. Because I finished college last year I managed/could afford 40 dives and so far this year I´ve done over 60.

To me there´s a huge difference between a dive and a dive as well. A 120 ft dive in 35F water or a 210ft dive in 85F water? The one to 120ft took a lot more out of me than the one to 210...

Back on topic...
I think that most "serious" divers (by whatever definition you use) tend to be independent.
A lot of them seem to have a sense of humour as well, even if its often...hrm...unusual :crafty: Thats not always obvious on the internet but still :wink:
A lot of them tend to be pretty laid back and easy going too (I guess waiting for boats and/or weather to take you diving teaches patience).
The female divers I see tend to be atractive :07:

Back
Top Bottom