What kind of shark would make you get out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek:

A LIVE ONE! Damn! The Great Lakes are cold and dark
but at least we don't have to answer questions like this!

For me, C said it best....but i would add that i would not go right to a boat, but stay down and observe them then when it looked safe(many things have to happen for that to be so..) head on up...but i would not shoot right on up at first 'shark sign' nor have i when i have encountered them(of course after i get the them of 'jaws' from playing in my head and my breathing gets back close to normal...:bonk: ) but this is me, and i have made it a point to try and learn all i can about them and their behavior...

cylalon_300 was known to bubble....
..snip...Chepar, I've read that whites, tigers, and bulls account for the majority of attacks on humans (mostly swimmers and surfers). Attacks on divers are relatively rare (see first sentence, tho).....snip....

My very first dive after I completed my Padi Open Water course in Sydney was in the Cook Islands - where we got up close and personal with a few white tips. Also came across a hammerhead, which surprisingly was on its own - i thought they travelled in schools...?

:crazyeyes

Since then I have dived with sharks quite a few times, a couple of which include:

off Maroubra Beach in Sydney with about 12 Grey Nurse Sharks in an overhang/cave
:nurse:

loads of sharks up on the Outer Great Barrier Reef - lots of reefies as well as our most recent encounter with a female bull shark and her juvenile :baby: who circled my boyfriend and I a couple of times.... I was keeping a close eye on their pectoral fins and luckily they did not drop - I was nervous enough as it was, the mama shark being sort of protective of the bubba shark...! eek! but we continued the dive, just headed over to the other side of a coral bommie and continued in the opposite direction (with my boyf glancing repeatedly over his shoulder!!)

:around:

when i was in the red sea, the guide who took us to Elphinstone was like the old sailor on the simpsons, he was Egyptian but was educated in the UK he had dived with just about every shark, and when ever film crews wanted to do Elphinstone or look for sharks, he was the man.

He said he was happy in the water with any shark except the Mako, and when there was 2 in the water, he said forget it, as they hunt in packs/pairs, one would swim towards you and distract you while the other came and got you :eek:

One was while I was snorkeling with a buddy between dives. It was a grey reef about 30 - 40 ft below us. Classic threat posture. Arched back, wild side to side swimming movement.

The second was during an OW class. A 5 ft. galapagos was coming way too close to the group (I could reach out to push it away). I might have stayed with more experienced divers, but it was too much, too soon for a new bunch of divers.:boom:

Ok guys listen to this story, last year back in charm el sheik some friends had a safari.
During the safari the owner of the boat and the divemaster went on a deep air dive,
And never came back 2 days later they found the divemaster, but with one hand and one leg missing they took his computer and download his dive and look what they found:
They went to 100 m and then the divemaster went to 140m and then up to 100m more then 3 or 4 times going up and down in less then a minute , , I don’t remember the details of the story but they say that a shark had attack then. Though in the red sea the reef shark run away from u if he saw u in the water, and u can even dive between hammer head sharks in the morning with no problem.
Anyway u cant predict what the next step of the shark is if he was in the dive site.
In my country we have weight sharks 5 or 6m ones and we dive next to them but we are always worried, anything could happen u will never know. but we never had any accident .Take care guys

Hello,

I think the thread should be titled "which shark would make you run on top of the water. I think most divers would stay in the water if there was some shark in the area that kept their distance and not agressive, and paid them no attention.

Most sharks (again I don't spearfish) will avoid you while in the water. In bimini I tried to get some photo's of a reef shark in the area but he was more afraid of me than I was of it.

Ed

"All this talk of sharks made me dive back into my first photos of one. I had just assumed it was a black-tip reef shark. Common in my area. Now I realize it is something else. Thought grey reef next but dont think it is broad or chunky enough on the front end. Any help?

Attachment: 107-0776_img.jpg"

jselz1

To me it looks like a juvenile grey reef shark, Carcharhinus Amblyrhynchos. Especially taking the black coloring on the tailfin into account. How large was this shark?

/christian

Speaking of this topic, what is the best way to learn how to identify different types of sharks, what their behavior means, and how to react to them? I could identify the easy ones, such as Great Whites and Hammerheads, but I don't think I could tell most of the others apart.

Here is one of the best sites on sharks:

http://www.elasmo-research.org/

The brain behind it is the Brit Rick Martin, one of the most knowledgeable about sharks and sharks behaviour.

Can't say that any specific shark spieces would get me out of the water, it has more to do with the situation. I suppose an aggresive, territorial reef shark could make me abort a dive or at least move away to another area of the reef. And I guess if a white shark showed up, acting calm keeping its distance, I might continue the dive. Hypotethically, I have not seen a white shark during a dive, yet. But I have actually gotten into, not out of, the water just to be able to swim with some of the open water spieces like the oceanic whiteip and the silky (C. Longimanus and C. Falciformis). Allthough I preffer to have a pick up zodiac nearby if it should be needed.

/christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom