What kind of sunglasses (prescription) to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakespear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dont need prescription lenses in a mask, my eyesight isnt that bad, but I am due for an eye exam in January and I wanted to get some prescription sunglasses for the diveboat, ect.

I heard I need to get polarized lenses?

What else do I need to consider?

Polarized is a must (I am not a professional) but, that really cuts down the glare.

You might want the arm (that go over your ears) the springy kind.

I like mine on the darker side.

I have a pair of Maui Jims and I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses again. Unless, of course, they break. Then I'll just buy another pair of Maui Jims. :)

Polarized is always a good bet...especially when trying to see past the glare on the water during the dive briefing.

For me, I have a relatively inexpensive pair of perscription sunglasses for use on diving trips because they are not usually treated very kindly. That way if I scratch/damage them I am not out a great deal of money.

If you really don't need glasses, why drop $200 on a perscription when any $25 pair will do just fine? You're just asking for trouble.

I have a pair of distance glasses tucked away in a crushproof glasses case, but I wear those cheap "Solar Shield" wrap-a-round glasses. The old folks wear them around Miami Beach.

Stylish? Maybe not, but they are 100% UV, and they completely cover the sides, brow and cheek... aint no UV getting in. I buy them in a rose/red color- it sets me aparat from the snowbird set and provides perfect wind/sun/spray protection. And- they're disposable if they scratch. You can wear them over your regular glasses, too. Great for snow skiing.

If you wear decent glasses with the springy temples as suggested above, be absolutely certain to lubricate them before and after and trip to the sea... a drop of light oil in each side. Not joking here.

Yes, you can get some style and UV protrection from any decent pair of $20 glasses, but do they cover the sides? (unless you get the leather/plastic mountaineering or trap shooter's side panel "blinders") That's the point. And if they get scratched... who cares?

If you really don't need glasses, why drop $200 on a perscription when any $25 pair will do just fine? You're just asking for trouble.

I have a pair of distance glasses tucked away in a crushproof glasses case, but I wear those cheap "Solar Shield" wrap-a-round glasses. The old folks wear them around Miami Beach.

Stylish? Maybe not, but they are 100% UV, and they completely cover the sides, brow and cheek... aint no UV getting in. I buy them in a rose/red color- it sets me aparat from the snowbird set and provides perfect wind/sun/spray protection. And- they're disposable if they scratch. You can wear them over your regular glasses, too. Great for snow skiing.

If you wear decent glasses with the springy temples as suggested above, be absolutely certain to lubricate them before and after and trip to the sea... a drop of light oil in each side. Not joking here.

Yes, you can get some style and UV protrection from any decent pair of $20 glasses, but do they cover the sides? (unless you get the leather/plastic mountaineering or trap shooter's side panel "blinders") That's the point. And if they get scratched... who cares?

Well I dont need them, I can do all the stuff on a diveboat, but should a pod of dolphins or boat full of naked ladies appear in the distance, I couldnt see it..

Im with rrjc on this one. Check out the Maui Jim prescription sunglasses program. Great optics and high quality frames. When I need another pair it will be another pair of Maui Jims.

I wait til there's the buy one get one sales at the eye place to get my regular ones and a pair of sunglasses. Since I need glasses, I don't have a problem with dropping $200 on two good pairs. I get ones that have a good grip on my head, are as dark as they can make (the ones that change color don't get dark enough), and are polarized. It's nice being able to look down into water and see the fish when most people are like "There's fish there?"

During diving, they go into my mask box or into their case and then into the mask box (that's if I have the case with me). That way, they're protected and I know where they are.

--Shannon

Back
Top Bottom