What kind of yearly maintenance is required for the wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tobin,
I have had my DSS rig for almost a year now, so I have started to think about yearly cleaning, inspecting, whatever. Is anything like that required? What kind of annual work do you recommend Tobin? Also, would it be ok to wash the bladder with some mild soap to try and get some of the smell out (it's not too bad, but I'd rather nip it in the bud)? Is there any other cleaning that I should be doing besides rinsing outside and in with fresh water after diving?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I absolutely love my rig and get questions about it all the time! Hopefully some folks have been steered your way!

Tobin,
I have had my DSS rig for almost a year now, so I have started to think about yearly cleaning, inspecting, whatever. Is anything like that required? What kind of annual work do you recommend Tobin? Also, would it be ok to wash the bladder with some mild soap to try and get some of the smell out (it's not too bad, but I'd rather nip it in the bud)? Is there any other cleaning that I should be doing besides rinsing outside and in with fresh water after diving?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I absolutely love my rig and get questions about it all the time! Hopefully some folks have been steered your way!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the gear. Thanks for the referrals.

Your wing does not require much in the way of annual service. Rinse the bladder out, check the condition of the hoses, and OPV and your 90% done.

You do want to keep your inflator in good condition. The inflator we use is generic and most any dive shop should be able to service it if required.

We also sell a tool to allow you to disassemble the inflator.

See here https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302

Tobin

Just to add that I serviced my own inflators yesterday for the first time. The tool Tobin makes is one elegant piece of equipment -- works great! Everybody, I think, should take their own stuff apart (although be warned you may end up in your LDS buying o-rings) just to see how much CRUD accumulates in it.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Is there anything special I need to do to keep things from growing in the bladder, other than the occasional soap and water rinse??

Thanks for the info everyone!

Is there anything special I need to do to keep things from growing in the bladder, other than the occasional soap and water rinse??

Dilute a little mouthwash and rinse with that. Kills the cooties.

Tobin

Just to add that I serviced my own inflators yesterday for the first time. The tool Tobin makes is one elegant piece of equipment -- works great! Everybody, I think, should take their own stuff apart (although be warned you may end up in your LDS buying o-rings) just to see how much CRUD accumulates in it.

Other than inspecting and cleaning I would assume, what else is involved with inflator service? Just curious, my DSS rig hasn't arrived yet. :D

Thanks! L.

Other than inspecting and cleaning I would assume, what else is involved with inflator service? Just curious, my DSS rig hasn't arrived yet. :D

Thanks! L.

Lilla,

You are planning ahead! We are hoping to have a little video on inflator service up on our site in the next few weeks.

Tobin

Lilla,

You are planning ahead! We are hoping to have a little video on inflator service up on our site in the next few weeks.

Tobin

Awesome - I'll be on the lookout.

Oh, that's cool, Tobin! Wish I had had that to watch before I committed surgery upon my own gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom