What length hoses do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run a 7' hose on my primary, a 26" hose for the backup, 24" hose for the pressure guage (I think), and 24" for the BC hose (or whatever comes with the Halcyon BC).

Mike

The usual short hoses supplied with the regs - but they're on their way out to be replaced with DIR hoses similar to Lost Yoopers.

And because it's such a handy link I found on this board in a similar thread, here's some rigging options for the primary and backup regs using the DIR style of hoses:

http://www.northeastdir.com/gearpage1.htm

Ditto with Ben....

I'll keep them around tho' and use them when diving with rec divers who might get confused over the different styles.

Ditto with Yoop...

I keep the old longish hoses to use when making up shorter ones... (LP only)

A ferrule crimper can be had for about $150 or you can get it done for a small price at a hose & fitting supply shop...

While I have not found a suitable source for nickle plated ferrules...

We have used brass ones and they hold up reasonably well if rinsed...

It is easy to cut off the original ferrule, shorten the hose, insert the original fitting and crimp on a new ferrule...

But you have to ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?"

Well.... do ya?

Dir replaces the primary second stage hose with a 7' long hose...
All of the other hoses are replaced with shorter hoses...

I keep some of the long (standard length) hoses for others who still use them...

I also use some of the long (standard length) hoses to make up shorter DIR hoses...

Ontario Diver,

You might want to dump those short hoses completely - I wish other divers I've previously dived with HAD the longer hoses so I could have seen there was another way to do things!

Guess there is the issue of an OOA situation underwater, and having them yanking at your bungeed backup reg. Even if you explain the donate-from-the-mouth philosophy during predive, anyone could forget in an emergency. Shoving your reg in their face though should help remind them :) I'm also swapping my yellow faceplate from my backup TX40 with my black primary TX50, so my primary reg is the more visible one as well.

BTW - it's interesting to see that in the technical course section of PADI's web site they have pictures of divers in pretty much DIR configured gear with the long hoses. But the minimum prerequisite for their technical courses is PADI Open Water certification, which most places teach with the short hoses.

Ben

I have the 7' primary/dir setup also. My take on why this is not used in OW is the ol concept of people tend to do what they know and then justify it from there.

I echo also that it is great for standard ow. There are so many different weight setups and octo setups that going with what other ow divers are using is not really valid anymore.

The basic ow rig is not really thought out by anyone but marketing folks.

Anyone else up for a dir category? It would be good to have one that is clean and monitored. Kind of like a free GUE board.

Tommy

Depends on the dive...
For warm open water recreational dives, including OW instructing, I use the old standard length primary and integrated inflator/second.
For caving or wrecking I use the 7' primary and bungee neclace second.
Rick

Though not DIR, I have the same configuration as Lost Yooper's with the following OEC changes:

1. My backup reg in on the 7' hose and my primary reg is on the short hose.
2. I have a slightly shorter hose also running to a redundant bladder.

I dive with the same reg configuration rec diving as I do tech diving for personal comfort and safety (H-valve on single tank for rec diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom