What make it a Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crestgel

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been looking around here and notice that the Suunto Mosquito is not refer to as a dive computer. Even my LDS refer to his Suunto Stinger as a dive watch. I have notice that the vyTec and vyPer are refered to in threads about dive computers.

What makes it a Dive Computer?

The Suunto Mosquito and the Stinger are indeed dive computers and not just dive watches. I think people tend to call them watches because of their size and the fact that you can use them as an every day watch.
The Mosquito and the Stinger are just as advanced computers as the Vyper and Cobra.

A dive watch is just a waterproof watch that you take with you underwater to keep track of your diving time - nothing more.

-Karsten-

Denmark:
A dive watch is just a waterproof watch that you take with you underwater to keep track of your diving time - nothing more.
A dive computer can have a few more functions than just keeping track of time (define which time). It can show perform all the functions of a bottom timer (depth, max depth, time (both actual and dive), temp) and has an algorithm inside it to "calculate" your NDL time on the fly (depending on your profile), whether you choose to use it or not for various reasons is up to you, if you do great, if you dont you have just bought a very expensive bottom timer. The computers can often be for nitrox and air, some can do various gas mixes for all you tech divers out there, some are air integrated if that is your cup of tea, some do decompression diving, others do a pseudo deco diving (not advisable to push them that way). So computers can do more than just measure time.

As for dive watches, there are some out there that can typically go 3-600ft deep (static depth), they can range from a straightforward watch to a bottom timer, but have no computation capability, only a memory of a certain number of dives. However those tiny Suunto's are watch sized, but are computers as they compute using that algorithm.

For your consideration....

Dive Watch: Primarily a time keeping piece, sometimes enhanced with other secondary features, such as depth gauge or stopwatch.

Dive Gauge: Instrument give raw, unprocessed facts or data, i.e. depth, temperature, elapsed time, date, time, direction of travel.

Dive Computer: Using above mentioned raw data, and possibly other data, applies programmed mathematics or utilizes lookup tables to process the information in order to provide additional information or guidance to a user in a useful way, usually on a display screen.

Gekko, mosquito, vyper, cobra are computers. Some watches have gauges. Some gauges have watch functions. Computers have all the above plus more.

Back
Top Bottom