What Makes a Diver "DIR" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.Ya know, whenever somebody gets it wrong in their first sentence that kinda kills any credibility they have no matter how many good points they may follow up with.

Would you care to expand on what precisely you found wrong with that statement?

The use of the scooter in the DIR configuration is important even when diving without a scooter because it influences a number of configuration choices which don't necessarily make sense otherwise, including light placement, stages placement and ring placement.

1. Work the problem backwards. Adding the scooter often helps people understand how everything comes together.

So does adding deco cylinders. Does that mean that it's based on deco cylinders?

2. This is ScubaBoard. I already earned the English degree and I'm not being graded for participating

No but after taking the time to write it I would think you would want people to be able to read it.

and no one of any consequence or intellect would be stupid enough to waste time on message boards like we do.

That's funny.

Would you care to expand on what precisely you found wrong with that statement?

The use of the scooter in the DIR configuration is important even when diving without a scooter because it influences a number of configuration choices which don't necessarily make sense otherwise, including light placement, stages placement and ring placement.

But that doesn't make DIR "scooter based" anymore than it's deco cylinder based or canister light based.

There's no such thing as a "DIR diver" ... only "DIR dives" :)

I think I have to agree with Nadwidny here (though he may not agree with me :D).

In a nutshell, team based diving with a gear config and procedures that support said team.

Sure, it's built from the top down, but I think the team concept is more important than the scooter issue.

GUE did start from the need for divers in the WKPP and work backwards to wind up with DIRF. Trace commented on that in a kind of bizzare way which doesn't read well literally, but he's not 100% incorrect...

And you guys really need to keep it slightly more civil, or we're going to start deleting posts and/or just locking the thread...

Everyone posting in this thread has been around, has read this same thread in other forms a dozen times, there's likely to be nothing new... This thread really isn't worth it...

And to recap apparently we've spend 3 pages of posts coming to the conclusion that DIR might have something to do with team diving... And apparently we might have decided to let GI3 be DIR even though he doesn't hold any GUE cards...

as far as I remember though, DIR does not equal NOT ABLE TO HAVE FUN.

Hopefully this post doesn´t get deleted as well.

david

And to recap apparently we've spend 3 pages of posts coming to the conclusion that DIR might have something to do with team diving... And apparently we might have decided to let GI3 be DIR even though he doesn't hold any GUE cards...

From what I remember from a post from GI3 on gavinscooters there are only a handful of truly DIR divers in the world.

I think the whole discussion is fairly useless, if you've taken fundies (or equivalent, whatever that may mean), are applying the concepts in a team of folks that are doing the same, you're on your way to becoming DIR.

From someone on the outside looking in:
- Commitment to team diving
- Commitment to exellence
- Commitment to a uniform set of practices and procedures
- Commitment to physical fitness

All of these things can be found elsewhere but not consistently, certainly not on a global scale...

At least that´s the way I see it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom