what makes a diving agency a diving agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not agree with the intent of GUE's teaching standards, which are more inline with indoctrination than that of instruction which results in independent thinking divers.

Oh, you have GOT to be kidding. You clearly have never spent any time talking to a GUE instructor, or listening to a GUE class. A tremendous amount of time is spent explaining various approaches to things, identify the GUE approach, and explaining WHY it was chosen. It's as far from indoctrination as I can imagine . . . people are actively encouraged to ask questions and to question the gear, the procedures, the protocols, the gases, the deco, and on and on. The fact that people adopt the system whole-hog and then get evangelical about it just speaks to the extent to which the explanations are convincing, and the power of seeing it work, over and over again, in a wide variety of settings.

You may not LIKE the DIR agencies. That's your privilege, and if you don't want to recognize their cards, more power to you. But the divers who have earned those cards would be some of the easiest people to dive with that you could encounter. Everywhere I have gone where dive boats have the experience of GUE groups, they love them. Avid, safety-conscious divers, competent, and no drama. They follow rules.

We went up to the north end of Vancouver Island a year and a half ago, with a dozen DIR divers. The resort operator was somewhere between dubious and terrified. He didn't like doubles and he didn't like Argon and he didn't like scooters . . . by the end of the trip, he couldn't have tried harder to get us to come back. We were good divers. We caused him no trouble at all. We made plans, and followed them.

You are missing the boat, so to speak :)

As the person who wrote the standards that Moonglow uses in her teaching I feel moved to point out that GUE and UTD are, in my world, both certifying agencies while the ADC and AAUS are not.

Coming from the one who started it, I think it is safe to assume that he gets the final say :wink:

Hell no Randy!
We're going to have 6 more pages of back and forth debate.

It's going to be hard to argue with "70% of my new students go on to advanced ratings.".

-Mitch:D

Hi Edward - I have to take issue here - the list from Sport Councils you link to only lists one discipline against Scuba and that is underwater hockey, scuba is not listed on its own - therefore the list only applies to underwater hockey not scuba itself. Although I do have to say I'm bemused by the list and I think whoever compiled the list didn't know what on earth they were talking about.

For three years my son was Captain and then President of the Portsmouth University underwater hockey team (where underwater hockey was born) and played nationally and internationally and then for a local team after he graduated - BSAC had nothing to do with the organisation of their sport.

The British Octopush Association (yes - terrible name) are the governing body of underwater hocky - The British Octopush Association

If they mean that chart to say BSAC is the governing body for scuba they need to change it so it does not just list one discipline against Scuba activites. In any event underwater hockey does not use scuba, it is snorkels, masks and fins so should not be listed as a scuba discipline - cheers P

Hi Phil,

Only disciplines funded are shown, SCUBA diving is not funded by any Sports Council. Have you noticed the missing activity - Snorkelling.

As for the BOA being the NGB see here where Sport England show BSAC as the NGB for Octopush.

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense, but that's Sports Councils for you, it wasn't BSAC who made the decision.

Kind regards

---------- Post Merged at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:06 AM ----------

As far as my own club's (Fyne-divers SAC) concerned if someone turns up with a certification we've never heard of. We'd have a look through their dive-log and see what their like in the water.

I've yet to come across someone who dives regularly (at least twice a month) not being competent in the water.

After all we're all divers, aren’t we?

Kind regards

Last edited:
Coming from the one who started it, I think it is safe to assume that he gets the final say :wink:

I think it is the opposite - the dive shop that is renting/filling or training has the final say. If the clerk behind the counter won't accept your card, for whatever reason, then you are done especially if its the only one in the area.

I think it is the opposite - the dive shop that is renting/filling or training has the final say. If the clerk behind the counter won't accept your card, for whatever reason, then you are done especially if its the only one in the area.

Well, what I meant was final say as to whether GUE and UTD are agencies. The clerk may not accept it but they remain defined as agencies, regardless.

As other posters have stated on this forum, GUE and UTD are not agencies by definition,

I can't find those posts. Can you locate them for me?
they are more akin to regional dive clubs.

Since they both offer instruction and certification around the world, what region would that be?

We do not agree with the intent of GUE's teaching standards, which are more inline with indoctrination than that of instruction which results in independent thinking divers.
So you don't accept these people for continuing education because of that? Why not look at it as an opportunity to end the indoctrination?

As other posters have stated on this forum, GUE and UTD are not agencies by definition, they are more akin to regional dive clubs (there are others like them as well). We do not agree with the intent of GUE's teaching standards, which are more inline with indoctrination than that of instruction which results in independent thinking divers.

Is it just me or does this read like "we don't like GUE or UTD and therefore they are not considered agencies"?

We don't recognize either as agencies for continuing education. Again, we don't require c-cards for fills.

So you are saying that UTD and GUE divers can buy your lemonade and cookies but they can't come to your party? (sorry... this just reminded me of something an elementary school kid might say.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom