What Makes Divers a "DIR Diver"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
a question for those of you who consider yourself DIR divers...

what makes you a DIR diver? What does it take for you to consider
another diver a DIR diver?

I ask because it seems that defining what a "DIR diver" is is kind of hard

for example, from a very good post on the subject on another thread:

A good many *DIR divers* on the internet have never taken any GUE DIR training. A good many of the *GUE trained DIR divers* have not even passed the DIR fundamentals class. A good many of the *GUE trained DIR divers who have passed the DIRf* have a long way to go before the skills they were exposed to become skills they possess.

so... what makes you a DIR diver?

what does it take for you to consider another diver a DIR diver?

I look forward to the responses.

Excellent question Andy. I read that other thread and there were a lot of great posts.

I haven't read the other thread, but I wouldn't be suprised to find that folks are often making some incorrect assumptions about who considers themselves DIR. For example I took DIR-F and got a provisional pass, but I neither consider myself a DIR diver nor aspire to be one. I am, however, often willing to answer questions about DIR that are so basic that anyone who's taken DIR-F should know them, so it wouldn't be at all suprising to me if folks who read a post like that naturally assumed I'm DIR.

I imagine there are a lot of people in similar situations... they'll chime in with an answer that makes them sound like a DIR diver, but they may not be claiming to be, they may not think of themselves that way, and as is obvious from many of the posts I've seen over the years, they many not actually have the vaguest idea what they're talking about, except for what what they heard from a tank monkey who works with an instructor who met a guy who said something about Halcyon and GI3.

Amazing....this sound of crickets.

MSilvia:
I haven't read the other thread, but I wouldn't be suprised to find that folks are often making some incorrect assumptions about who considers themselves DIR.

And I thought everyone giving DIR answers on DIR-forum for sure were diving/thinking DIR! :wink:

When awaiting further discussion on this interesting topic - why don't you all mystery-DIR-divers (when participating on DIR-forum) disclose your level of DIR (we could create some sort of ranking of commitment). That way the ones not in the know would not jump into conclusions of having listened to DIR-divers :)

piikki "not DIR but preparing for Fundies"

Hank49:
Amazing....this sound of crickets.
Yes...especially given the number of users that are willing to give DIR advice :wink:

I've been diving with a fellow from NJ who was recently transfered to my area and who is an IANTD tech/re-breather instructor. He has diving experience I've only read about, including many Doria and NE wreck dives. He crewed on the Seeker for a while.

After I took DIRF, he showed up to the dive with his "DIR" doubles kit. Everything was set up exactly like DIR teaches. He said, "This is the kit I use if I buddy with DIR divers, since they enjoy compatible equipment configurations."

This guy is a monster diver with skills I only dream of, and a great guy, but his mindset is one of good buddy skills, but total self reliance. He is an excellent diver and person, but he is not DIR.

Rick Inman:
I've been diving with a fellow from NJ who was recently transfered to my area and who is an IANTD tech/re-breather instructor. He has diving experience I've only read about, including many Doria and NE wreck dives. He crewed on the Seeker for a while.

After I took DIRF, he showed up to the dive with his "DIR" doubles kit. Everything was set up exactly like DIR teaches. He said, "This is the kit I use if I buddy with DIR divers, since they enjoy compatible equipment configurations."

This guy is a monster diver with skills I only dream of, and a great guy, but his mindset is one of good buddy skills, but total self reliance. He is an excellent diver and person, but he is not DIR.
Good thing for staying on topic :wink:

Rick Inman:

great post. right on Rick. Seriously.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom