What makes one cave dive "bigger" than the other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus Diepolder 3 (certainly not intro but also not requiring stages). I'm not pointing fingers just adding to the perspective that there is a lot of cave in the area.

How can you get consensus when most people are not familiar with all the systems in N FL much less the US caves outside of FL, never mind caves outside of US, in Mexico, Europe, and other continents? Hell I know for me temperature would be a complexity factor (cold, that is) but for some it's just normal.

What about upstream Hole. The Century Tunnel T (which is white line T'd into gold) is within the limits of a skilled intro diver. If he was referring to any T's and not just white line T's off the gold line then I guess he forgot about Little River. He has a house not far from there. No one from the CDS even questioned the statement so to me I am assuming they all agreed. Definitely made me question their actual diving experience.

Returning to the original discussion, I have to say as a newly minted cave diver EVERY dive for me is a BIG dive. The very first dive of full cave, boom we are doing 1/3's, that was huge, first time jumping off the mainline, seeing a 1000' marker, there were all very big, for me at least. My first dive without my instructor 2 days after completing the course, that was huge, and of course being new has this affect. But even diving here at home, a big dive for me is, any new site, or a site that may be an "easy" dive that I am familiar with, after siting in the snow for 4 months, the first time back on a dive that I know like the back of my hand is a "big" dive.

I see my diving in a similar light as I do my flying, its all big until I pull off the runway, or until I am back on dry land. They are all big because diving or flying, as with a lot of things, there is the potential for things to go wrong which turns easy to mayhem in a blink of an eye if not managed properly.

Before we rate caves, I think we should have reliable maps, with all the depth, distance, and navigational info first. And info on access, landowner rules, etc. If you have those, you can already venture a pretty good guess as to the seriousness of a dive. And to the mountaineering analogies: good maps were first. Before any ratings.

Reactions: tep
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom