What makes one cave dive "bigger" than the other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done a number of dives in the Yucatan where no one in my group had ever done the dive before and a little more information would have been useful.
You mean a restriction and chubbyness rating would have been helpful?

A few months ago I was part of a group that did a river rafting trip. that group included a smal
I know what an analogy is, John. Skiing, rafting and driving are not good analogies.
because....

"Ginnie springs is rated a level 4 on a 1 to 10 scale, a relatively easy dive by cave diving standards. After last weekend's fatality, the 3rd this year at Ginnie alone, state legislators are considering a statewide ban on all cave diving activities to protect landowners from liability."

And while they are at it, I hope they ban cars too. Those things kill people all the time. :shakehead:

Well since the maps of even the tourist caves are no where near complete I still don't see how this is going to work. Plus what is a restriction to one person is a low spot to another.

For example I kept hearing for years about how the dive to JB2 was through 7 restrictions and how you would have to be cut to pieces to get your body out. I found the passage and was like WTF? Other than the distance it isn't bad. I have been through it with lp 120's , 2 backmounted stages and a scooter. There is so much bs out there and the maps are so incomplete this is impossible.

Well since the maps of even the tourist caves are no where near complete I still don't see how this is going to work. Plus what is a restriction to one person is a low spot to another.

For example I kept hearing for years about how the dive to JB2 was through 7 restrictions and how you would have to be cut to pieces to get your body out. I found the passage and was like WTF? Other than the distance it isn't bad. I have been through it with lp 120's , 2 backmounted stages and a scooter. There is so much bs out there and the maps are so incomplete this is impossible.
That's why you would have rate them objectively, just as rock climbing ascents and river rapids are rated.

Innovation and advancements on equipment has made things easier, however a fool with a tool is still a fool. Equipment is not going to make your decisions, experience and in-water time will help you learn to make better decisions.

i doubt anyone would disagree with that

Uneventful dives result in little to no experience gained. Consider this when wanting to push your experience envelope; don't rely on others, they might not be there when you want to rely on them.
Id say most technical divers endeavour to be self reliant regardless

Generally speaking, I am of the believe that if you are not prepared to do you next "push" dive solo, you are not ready to push your experience limits.
that sounds wise but it means nothing to a fool -theyll believe their ready regardless

Who is going to do the rating?
I realize that whoever it is will not meet your criteria, but this sort of thing is done all the time in many different settings. To be as blunt as possible, it involves consensus building among experts. As I said earlier, I used to teach and manage the process. It is well established

"Oh wow, the cave on my property is listed as a triple black diamond, the most dangerous rating? You know, I think it's best if we just didn't have anyone dive here anymore".
oh no another group of climbers just died on Everest lets ban all mountaineering on this dangerous mountain

"Ginnie springs is rated a level 4 on a 1 to 10 scale, a relatively easy dive by cave diving standards. After last weekend's fatality, the 3rd this year at Ginnie alone, state legislators are considering a statewide ban on all cave diving activities to protect landowners from liability."
that could happen with or without a rating system

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom