What Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to dive Komodo and minimize your exposure to the currents schedule your trip halfway between new and full moon, or full and new. I've done Crystal and Castle rock some of the most current fueled sites and have been able to navigate the whole sites with no current at all.

Sipadan is great diving but there are limited permits so you would also be diving the Mabul area which is mostly muck so you might not be to happy with that. I say to hell with Abu Sayef.

In the PI since your not a fan of macro how about Puerto Galera or Sipalay. And beware that the PI in many places isn't going to be as fishy as Indo. I like Sipalay a lot for its healthy not bombed reefs, at Takatuka resort where we stay at has great food and wide menu so that when we stay for 2 weeks we don't tire of it.
the resort is 4 star clean at 3 star prices.

And now to add to your choices have you thought about Palau? It's the sharkyest place I've dived. But the new and full moon currents bring the most sharks. I dream of going in March for mating season but the farm keeps me to busy then.

Has anyone been to this place?

- Bill
Hi Bill,

I did a combined trip to Lembeh and Weda Resort a couple of years ago which I thoroughly enjoyed. I haven't written a trip report and am yet to get round to editing my video from the trip but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Richard

Thinking of going to Phils (Cebu) in July instead of April, and to somewhere in Indo for diving in April. I have the impression that diving in Phils in July is good but in Eastern Indo (which is where we likely would end up) is not good.

Am I right?

- Bill

Thinking of going to Phils (Cebu) in July instead of April, and to somewhere in Indo for diving in April. I have the impression that diving in Phils in July is good but in Eastern Indo (which is where we likely would end up) is not good.
No, sorry it's not like that.
Phils are good until june, rain comes in July.
However, it depends which eastern Indo you're talking : Alor is good in July !

No, sorry it's not like that.
Phils are good until june, rain comes in July.
However, it depends which eastern Indo you're talking : Alor is good in July !

OK - wait, is there an overall picture to the good / bad diving seasons in SEA? Also, why is rain a problem? I could see wind being a problem.

- Bill

Of course flash flood can kill but rain is never a real problem for scuba diving in Philippines anytime of the year. Viz might be affected because of run off but certainly not detrimentally.
Typhoon is your only real concern from July - Dec. There was one hitting PG and Anilao more or less head on right after last Christmas!

[QUOTE="billt4sf, post: 7858699, member: 405482]

Cambodia – How could we possibly live in SEA and miss Angkor Wat?

[/QUOTE]
Of all the places that I had visited in SEA, this is THE place.

You should also look up Timor Leste for diving.

OK - wait, is there an overall picture to the good / bad diving seasons in SEA? Also, why is rain a problem? I could see wind being a problem.

- Bill
I think I told what were the optimal seasons in SEA dive spots.
I agree rain might NOT be the problem, however unlike Pacific islands and equatorial weathers rain often comes with wind, even though it's not typhoon size. I remember 15 years ago having one month around the Phils from end of july to end of august. Had the best vizibility ever in Moalboal and 4 days later tucked in my bungalow with no good diving in Panglao.

You may check out Nabucco in East Kalimantan. Home - Nabuccoislandresort. The resort is in Maratua Atoll. There are 2 other interesting islands, Kakaban & Sangalaki, about an hour boat ride from Maratua Atoll. Kakaban is where you can snorkel with stingless jellyfish, like you see in Palau. Sangalaki is where turtle nesting & manta cleaning. See the video below for more detail:

One of the dive sites I like the most is called "The Channel" or "The Big Fish Country" in Maratua Atoll, where you can dive with tons of schooling barracudas there, as shown in the video, below.

For a land tour, you can visit the BOS (Borneo Orangutan Survival) Foundation, Borneo Orangutan Survival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, where Harrison Ford spends some of his time there, Harrison Ford Visits Nyaru Menteng | BOS Foundation. I spent a couple of days after diving in Nabucco in BOS Samboja Lodge, Borneo Samboja Ecolodge :: About BOS Foundation :: BOS Samboja Lestari, near Balikpapan to see the orangutan & sun bear sanctuaries, before going back home.

Great ideas, Dan. How would you rate the accomodations of Nabucco -- 3 stars? 4 stars? or in between?

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom