What pony size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like typically dive 70 to 130ft -- sometimes a little deeper. I started slinging a 40cuftAL and found that if it is slung properly I barely notice it's there. I initially bought an 19cuftAL and tried it with a recreational BCD. For some reason it just didn't seen to hang well. This was my first time slinging a bottle. A couple days later I got a BP/W and found it was really easy to sling the 40 as that's what the LDS recommended for a class. Never bothered with the 19 again.

I wear a Ranger BCD and with the strap kit I can carry up to a 30 next to my main tank. Never notice it's back there.

I feel more comfortable knowing that if my gear fails or if my buddy's gear fails, I'm going to make it back to a bigger source of air :)

I sling a 40 and sometimes an 80. Neither bother me any.

See I told y'all someone would ratchet it up to slinging an 80 :D

I guess, slinging an 80 also removes the travel issue, just rent a second 80 at the local site. Then all you have to do is make sure the boat captain doesn't mind having an extra tank on board :(

See I told y'all someone would ratchet it up to slinging an 80 :D

I guess, slinging an 80 also removes the travel issue, just rent a second 80 at the local site. Then all you have to do is make sure the boat captain doesn't mind having an extra tank on board :(

That's exactly why I do it. There are trade offs but it works for me.

I used to sling an 80 quite a bit as a travel stage before my tank filler decided not to fill old Al any more. Haven't gotten a new one yet. It is a very simple solution to doing bigger dives before committing to buying a full doubles set up.

I also use my 40's for travel/pony functions on dives when I don't need the full amount for reserve. I breath it down to my reserve volume first and then switch to back gas for the rest of the dive.

Haven't gotten a new one yet. It is a very simple solution to doing bigger dives before committing to buying a full doubles set up.

I also use my 40's for travel/pony functions on dives when I don't need the full amount for reserve. I breath it down to my reserve volume first and then switch to back gas for the rest of the dive.

First, I'm not passing judgement on these two statements....

I've been on a boat where the captain seemed really stressed that I was slinging an 80. I know exactly why it was there and how to use it but maybe he was worried that I would use it to do a "big" dive that maybe I wasn't really prepared for. I had absolutely no intention of doing this as I just dive it now and then to stay comfortable with it for when I need it on travel. But at the time he didn't really know me that well.

I guess there are always going to be people who think they know what the "rules" are for diving a "pony".

I suppose a charter op may be a little worried about that, especially if they have time constraints etc... I don't have those issues as I usually solo dive from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom