what reel for SMB should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kip

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I carry a SMB and now I want to add a reel to give me a visual reference on my stops. But what reel or should I use a finger spool, if I knew what a finger spool was and how to use it.

I plan to carry this in my BC pocket.

I appreciate any insight offered.

thanks

You can see both styles here http://www.diverite.com/products/productslist.aspx?SubCategoryID=64&CategoryID=17

The finger spool is smaller and will fit in a pocket easier. Most with reels clip them off to their BC harness. One major benefit of the spool is that it is harder to foul, compared to a reel. Keeping tension on the reel helps. Of course the spool is also only $15 and up vs a reel that starts around $35 and up.

Persoanlly I like a reel in that you can easily hang on the handle, and they are easier to reel in as you go up. If only for occcasional or emergency use a spool makes more sense, with it stowed in a pocket.

I bought the dive rite finger spool, it comes with small diameter line but I was told you can put as big as 3/8" and still get 50 feet on it. Good bargin reel to start! I would'nt sweat the reel so much unless your penetrating. Then it would be time to heavy up!

I went with the dive rite 100' spool from scubatoys - http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FingerSpool

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot a bag yet, so I can't report on how it works, but I have heard good things from other SB members.

Just remember to double-check that you aren't tangled in the line before you inflate and shoot the SMB. Otherwise, you might get to do a polaris instead of a safety stop!

I will be asking the DM to help me and give me some pointers on my first dives so that I can get my technique down. Supposedly, people report venting all of the air from your BC to the lift bag first is a good idea because you will remain neutral, and then you just add a bit more air from your octo/backup while you exhale in order to try and remain as neutral as possible, and let the SMB go. While it is on its way up, you can add the air back to your BC.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

You should go with the spool vs. the reel. It's pretty easy to get a nice tangle going by trying to shoot a bag or SMB using a reel. If the reel tangles and jams you have two options, 1) get pulled to the surface with the SMB, 2) let go and watch the reel and SMB go to the surface. With 2 hopefully you can retreive your investment : )

A spool presents less issues with line jams and is very easy to store in a pocket or clip to your bc.

Have fun & practice.

I would spend the extra few bucks and get a Halcyon spool instead of a Diverite..Its made from Delrin which is alot tougher than the ABS the Diverite is made out of...

minnesota01r6:
I went with the dive rite 100' spool from scubatoys - http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FingerSpool

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot a bag yet, so I can't report on how it works, but I have heard good things from other SB members.

Just remember to double-check that you aren't tangled in the line before you inflate and shoot the SMB. Otherwise, you might get to do a polaris instead of a safety stop!

I will be asking the DM to help me and give me some pointers on my first dives so that I can get my technique down. Supposedly, people report venting all of the air from your BC to the lift bag first is a good idea because you will remain neutral, and then you just add a bit more air from your octo/backup while you exhale in order to try and remain as neutral as possible, and let the SMB go. While it is on its way up, you can add the air back to your BC.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

I was also wondering how to properly inflate my SMB. Great Advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom