What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps a Series 2 Argonaut Kraken special edition?:

In action:

Diving DH regs since 1966, I think I have come to terms with the high work of inhalation despite the generous Venturi assist and now relegate them to demo dives or cruising along over the reef at 30 feet riding the current. I now prefer a lowly G250 with a simple Mark 2 Evo for just about everything else. Why use a DH at all, well, for macro and close photography the bubbles are behind and not in the way and because the bubbles are behind they tend to frighten shy critters somewhat less and DH regs do not excite my tinnitus. Bursting bubbles by my ears at 110 dB+ is potentially damaging.

Lust, oh, dear, President Jimmy when it comes to lust, for me, it is a titanium Mark 25 Evo NIB for trade for a NIB Kraken. Or, maybe not, it would take some arm twisting. A lot of arm twisting. Do not know about that. See, a titanium (Ti) Mark 25 Evo is made of, you guessed it, titanium! But a NIB Series 1 Kraken, that is made of UNOBTANIUM (Ub)!

You are certainly a DH addict now, once those sweet single stage regulators start their inhalation song, no one can resist. Love my Voits and USD single stage DHs.
It’s a ‘niche’ for sure, and a ‘rethink’ coming from a SHR. I did it well on my 1st try. After that ‘diving’ them became 2nd nature.

MK10 and G250 combos in good condition. I can't believe those are no longer in production. Well, G250 is under Halcyon.

A brand new (NIB) MK10/ CE 156 satin balanced adjustable.
thatAnd a brand new Connie 14 w/ all metal 1085 (NIB)
I’m showing the usual wear and tear myself denoting my age, and all the scratches and dings on my 1085 were put there by me, so I’d have a hard time letting it go. Because of the port layout, I’ve decided to swap out my C-XIV 1st for a C22 1st so I can configure my hoses a little more conveniently. It’s surprising how much difference that one extra port makes! I’ve had that first, basically unused, since about 1993, and it still looks pretty new.

I don’t have anything against the classic ScubaPro designs, I just don’t see any advantage over my Aqua Lung stuff in the SP stuff that would make me want to make a change. If I had started with an old SP rig with a plated brass second, I would probably be just as attached to that system.

With a little luck I hope to be diving with @Scott G. Bonser in January. I just hope his Kraken doesn’t open up a long forgotten desire for DH regulators. I haven’t used a DH since the Wake Forest pool sessions in about 1969. Luckily I’m old enough that my level of lust for “the next new thing” is no longer what it used to be!

🐸

Perhaps a Series 2 Argonaut Kraken special edition?:

In action:

Diving DH regs since 1966, I think I have come to terms with the high work of inhalation despite the generous Venturi assist and now relegate them to demo dives or cruising along over the reef at 30 feet riding the current. I now prefer a lowly G250 with a simple Mark 2 Evo for just about everything else. Why use a DH at all, well, for macro and close photography the bubbles are behind and not in the way and because the bubbles are behind they tend to frighten shy critters somewhat less and DH regs do not excite my tinnitus. Bursting bubbles by my ears at 110 dB+ is potentially damaging.

Lust, oh, dear, President Jimmy when it comes to lust, for me, it is a titanium Mark 25 Evo NIB for trade for a NIB Kraken. Or, maybe not, it would take some arm twisting. A lot of arm twisting. Do not know about that. See, a titanium (Ti) Mark 25 Evo is made of, you guessed it, titanium! But a NIB Series 1 Kraken, that is made of UNOBTANIUM (Ub)!
…Oooohhh Yess. I am most happy with my newly acquired Red Kraken Argonaut I recently purchased. Yes I am afflicted. I am a ‘Kraken-Head’ 🤿😁. Going on first O/W with it (for me) in mid-Jan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
MK10 and G250 combos in good condition. I can't believe those are no longer in production. Well, G250 is under Halcyon.
as I find out and learn about restoring and building my O/W DHR rigs ( …due to my age and diving w/unfamiliar partners …) I keep finding out which ‘modern’ parts are actually the ‘same’ as my ‘vintage’ parts. MR12 II guts are same as in Mares Abyss. There are more but I haven’t discovered yet.

I’m showing the usual wear and tear myself denoting my age, and all the scratches and dings on my 1085 were put there by me, so I’d have a hard time letting it go. Because of the port layout, I’ve decided to swap out my C-XIV 1st for a C22 1st so I can configure my hoses a little more conveniently. It’s surprising how much difference that one extra port makes! I’ve had that first, basically unused, since about 1993, and it still looks pretty new.

I don’t have anything against the classic ScubaPro designs, I just don’t see any advantage over my Aqua Lung stuff in the SP stuff that would make me want to make a change. If I had started with an old SP rig with a plated brass second, I would probably be just as attached to that system.

With a little luck I hope to be diving with @Scott G. Bonser in January. I just hope his Kraken doesn’t open up a long forgotten desire for DH regulators. I haven’t used a DH since the Wake Forest pool sessions in about 1969. Luckily I’m old enough that my level of lust for “the next new thing” is no longer what it used to be!

🐸
Well GF it’s kinda like drinking certain ‘Craft Beers’. Most mainstream beer drinkers abhor them. It’s an acquired ‘Taste’. DHRs always had that ‘uniqueness’ for me. …also my 1st SCUBA try-out in a neighbors pool was with a AMF Voit Trieste DHR in ‘74. I was blown away by its ease in breathing. ( little did I know at the time, it was notorious for poor breathing in especially strenuous conditions. ) I like them for ‘Fun’ dives as my Nikonos V macro ( stillness ) days are in the past….it’s a ‘long’ story. Why I bought RAM and DA AM in ‘83.

…Oooohhh Yess. I am most happy with my newly acquired Red Kraken Argonaut I recently purchased. Yes I am afflicted. I am a ‘Kraken-Head’ 🤿😁. Going on first O/W with it (for me) in mid-Jan.

I will raise your one Kraken with my three Krakens:

Series I DD-6 of the Determined Dozen and 14-JRW from the first few in the crowd funding and then my Series II Special Issue AKV-011 :yeahbaby: .

JRW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom