What safety items do you check prior to boarding a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On dive boats in the US, safety briefings have always seemed thorough to me: PFD locations, fire procedures, boat name and radio channel, SMB use, etc. But it's another world when you find yourself with a dive op on a remote island and discover that they're planning to take you out on a skiff powered by a single outboard, in rough weather, and the "nearby" dive site turns out seemingly to be miles out. I've only had that experience once (and we had to turn around because the boat seemed in danger of swamping in the chop), but it served as a lesson in just how lacking safety procedures can be in some places.

That's a pretty F'd up story. No O2 is a major sign that something is wrong. It sounds like he was aware of the motor problem and was sailing on a prayer.

What if the storm was a little stronger and the boat got broadsided by a wave and capsized? Let me guess - no life preservers either.

It sounds like you got a real good lesson out there, and luckily nobody got hurt.

Counting on outrunning a storm with a boat with known bad engines? Not smart.
No O2? Not smart.
No radio? Not smart.
No flashlight? C'mon.

I don't normally go around bad mouthing people, but I think it would be a real service to the dive community to out this operator before he kills one of us.

Thanks for the replies and the link!

With our recent incident near Cancún, we did see a green safety box. I did not check for the O2 inside, another lesson learned. *Always* will in the future.

There were life preservers on board. I was considering having us put them on just before the rescue boat arrived. If the cell calls didn't work, we were considering that that the change in the weather might very well have capsized us later that night.

Thanks for the replies and the link!

With our recent incident near Cancún, we did see a green safety box. I did not check for the O2 inside, another lesson learned. *Always* will in the future.

There were life preservers on board. I was considering having us put them on just before the rescue boat arrived. If the cell calls didn't work, we were considering that that the change in the weather might very well have capsized us later that night.

Glad it turned out well. Sounds like there were many issues prior to and during the cruise that should have constituted a cancellation and turnaround. I am fortunate to have never experienced anything on the order of yours on a dive boat but your story did give me pause. I can remember specifically safety briefings given on some boats I have been on but not all. It has me wondering if they have always been given and just forgotten with time or if I have been on a trip as ill-prepared as you described. I will certainly pay closer attention on future trips! Thanks for posting!

Just curious, where were you diving that offered novice level dives in 30FSW far enough out to sea that land was inaccessible and other operators were not around? It appears you were in Cancun? Do you remember the site?

Ever since I read the book about the Wave Dancer tradegy( No Safe Harbor) when we are on LOB's, I always try to imagine if the boat were upside down and I mentally go through our escape route from that position. I also check and make sure all day boats or pangas have a radio onboard to call for help. On one of our trips to RA one of the pangas broke down after a night dive and they were almost an hour away from the mother ship. The divers were cold and hungry waiting for about 2 hours for a rescue!
My wife, daughter, and I are all relatively new divers. On a recent trip to a warm locale we signed up for a two-tank afternoon dive for the three of us. Our 12 year old daughter was just certified inland last summer, so these were to be her first ocean dives. We intentionally chose the easiest (no current, 30' deep) dives available, just to have some fun and a good first experience. We had DMs dive along with us.

That morning we saw that there was a storm front forecast to come through later that evening, and the diver operator said that the port would be closed the following day due to high winds. However, the afternoon we arrived at the dock the weather appeared fine. The weather shouldn't have been a problem until long after we were back.

I did not ask any questions about the safety items on the boat (I'll never make that mistake again). After a delay to find enough tanks, we headed out, albeit slowly. I thought perhaps the dive site was close, but was told that the engines (there were two) weren't running properly. It took awhile to get there. These two issues put us a bit behind schedule.

Both dives went fine. The DM appeared to have his act together and be quite experienced. When we finished the second dive, though, it was wasn't long before dark.

We got back on the boat, started toward shore, and was told it would take an hour to get to shore. The engines didn't sound good and the boat was barely moving. This was not a good sign with some storms building. Then both engines quit. They would not restart. We still had about four miles of open ocean to cross. I thought, well, no problem, put the lights on, call for help. Turns out there was no radio, and in fact, no lights. At this point we were solely dependent on the dive operator's cell phone for communications.

We eventually dropped anchor and spent two hours in choppy seas (the other couple of divers on board became seasick). After some thought we realized that we had left our dive flashlights packed in our dive gear bags just by luck. Those were the only lights on board to signal with. We were told several times that a boat was coming, but none ever did. The incoming storm front was on our minds. Not a good night to stay on the water overnight in such a small boat. Thunderstorms went to both sides of us in the dark, with lightning striking nearby. Eventually after a few hours floating in the dark, a friend of the dive operator showed up in another boat and towed us in.

What if the engines had died before we got back on the boat after the second dive? Would we have been left floating in the ocean unable to reach the boat? What if the cell phone had been dropped, or the battery had died, and we were left out in the ocean as the storm front arrived? There were a lot of issues that could've become very serious very quickly.

Speaking with my LDS back home after this, they suggested that prior to heading out on any boat dive that we ask to see the radio, ask what frequency they use, lights, what their egress plan is in case of emergency, and also not only see the emergency kit but verify that a bottle of oxygen is inside.

I would appreciate hearing what others typically do before boarding a dive boat in a new location. I realize that both engines failing is a rare event, but eventually mechanical failures can happen to anyone. I do not wish to repeat this experience, particularly with my family. At this point I'm just relieved that we're safe and that everyone is still up for more diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom