What scuba diving goals did you accomplish in 2007?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did not die UW..........MAJOR accompishment------Oh, & also got ot dive Bloody Bay Wall(alot).................GEAUX TIGERS............

2007 - my buddies and I trained hard and survived GUE Tech 2. Also did my first few proper freshwater dives.

2008 - less training, more diving :) Hopefully will be able to afford a scooter... Planning to go see the mola molas in Bali.

I have recently returned from the 'European Symposium on Marine Protected Areas as a Tool for Fisheries Management and Ecosystem Conservation' in Murcia, Spain. This conference was hugely informative and an excellent platform to meet decision makers in Europe, speak about issues affecting the marine environment and fisheries management and have a look at why we manage marine areas and what for. Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) are increasingly being used as a tool for both marine nature conservation and the sustainable management of the living resources in our seas. Do we focus on a model that guarantees survival of the ecosystem, habitat, or species - i.e. managing for the environment? Or do we manage for...

MPA Symposium

...fisheries, with a focus on higher yield, lower unit effort and sustaining that resource where possible. These questions are important as we can manage a resource for our use or we can manage it for existence.

Biodiversity and habitat protection are clearly important, but so are the lives of local people that depend upon these resources. Maybe we try to combine the two? These are all of course very interesting and important questions in Europe, but in the developing world MPAs are being set up at a very fast rate, not necessarily with these questions in mind. The theory of protecting an area is often a genuine and worthwhile motive but without the resources to enforce the regulations and empower local people to gain their support, managing a non-extractive use such as dive tourism effectively is a major challenge and constraint upon success. Emerging science and interdisciplinary approaches were the focus; the need to mix academic research, investment in people, socio-economic surveys and understanding the root of poverty that frequently undermines the success of protected areas in the marine environment.

so, my achievement was to combine my love for diving and marine life with meeting descision amkers and large NGOs to combine forces to protect that blue blue we all love so much..

I have recently returned from the 'European Symposium on Marine Protected Areas as a Tool for Fisheries Management and Ecosystem Conservation' in Murcia, Spain. This conference was hugely informative and an excellent platform to meet decision makers in Europe, speak about issues affecting the marine environment and fisheries management and have a look at why we manage marine areas and what for. Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) are increasingly being used as a tool for both marine nature conservation and the sustainable management of the living resources in our seas. Do we focus on a model that guarantees survival of the ecosystem, habitat, or species - i.e. managing for the environment? Or do we manage for...

MPA Symposium

...fisheries, with a focus on higher yield, lower unit effort and sustaining that resource where possible. These questions are important as we can manage a resource for our use or we can manage it for existence.

Biodiversity and habitat protection are clearly important, but so are the lives of local people that depend upon these resources. Maybe we try to combine the two? These are all of course very interesting and important questions in Europe, but in the developing world MPAs are being set up at a very fast rate, not necessarily with these questions in mind. The theory of protecting an area is often a genuine and worthwhile motive but without the resources to enforce the regulations and empower local people to gain their support, managing a non-extractive use such as dive tourism effectively is a major challenge and constraint upon success. Emerging science and interdisciplinary approaches were the focus; the need to mix academic research, investment in people, socio-economic surveys and understanding the root of poverty that frequently undermines the success of protected areas in the marine environment.

so, in 2007 i managed to combine my love of the underwater worls and diving with meeting european descision makers, NGOS and officials to make sure that im doing my bit for conserving the blue planet so future generations of divers can enjoy the reefs, see the fish and witness the immense grace of sharks and rays.

c

Took the Advanced Nitrox/Decompression class, caught my first lobster and went deeper than before (136 feet).

Next year the goal is to dive dive dive in preparation for trimix in 2009.

Got my Divemaster and Instructor. Got my oldest certified.

Next up:
Next son certified.
Nitrox instructor
DRI PSD Instructor
HSA Instructor
Cavern

Got my Nitrox. Now I have to pay a lot more when I boat dive, shore dive, etc. etc. but that's not all bad.

Went camping on a sailboat in May (Blackbeard)
Dove Pt. Hardy in August

Bought a steel tank - impressed without all that lead on the Pt. Hardy trip

For 08 - start DM. YEAAAAAA Not bad after 18 years of diving - like what stopped me before?

Did my 100th dive in Bonaire!
Finally saw a lionfish at Hatteras,NC!
Got my daughter to take OW referral (to finish in Bonaire in March, 2008) Yeaa!!

I flipped the switch in 2007.
Bought all my gear. Got my AOW.
Logged 26 dives (new personal record)
and meet some buddies I hope to have for a long time.

My Maui dives in March were magical and began my journey towards understanding the inevitable; the real me resides underwater.

Long term goals:
Dive all the San Diego wrecks: Yukon (started with the biggest)
Dive with my kids (2,4,6 yo): Started them snorkel'n this summer

Goals for '08:
Get a drysuit
Log 50 dives
2 SD wrecks
Rescue and Nitrox classes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom