What scuba gear to take with versus rent in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be a Youtube video of how not to deploy an SMB (there are a few up there now but I could not find the one I remember) from a finger spool. It is very funny, but like a lot of things that are funny, there is an element of danger in it. Anyway, the poor guy is struggling with the inflator, and in the process he lets the line to the spool go slack and he gets tangled in a cloud of yellow string, and he drops the spool (which he never sees again because when you get those things the end of the line isn't usually attached to it), and he ends up in a tangled mess at the surface. The first time I attempted to deploy mine (I was never trained to do it, either), I had a similar experience. I had unreeled the line and secured it to the spool when I first got it, though, so at least I didn't lose the spool. It was embarrassing. I am better at it now.
I believe I viewed that video and it was not only humorous but actually very informative. IMHO the best way to learn is on a nice relaxed dive with a relaxed buddy to get over the phobia of taking your reg out and letting it loose for 20 - 30 seconds and then retrieving it, repeatedly. Once you have that down you can calm down when deploying it, then practice as much as possible deploying from moderate depth. Most dives you probably don't need one but when you do really need one, like being: Scattered at Barracuda or Punta Sur, trying to take a pig of Lionfish home for dinner (and trying with an encumbered hand) or have been stung by said Lionfish, it is helpful if it is second nature. When the sh#t hits the fan the last thing you need is to self entangle yourself and sink as opposed to making a humorous YouTube video.

If you want to assert that a person will have a harder time staying on the surface after weights are dropped if they have a steel tank then there may be some merit to that.

This is -exactly- the point I was making.

The poster said it was difficult to blow up an SMB on the surface because you have to kick to keep yourself above the surface (he recommended putting your head underwater to blow it up). I was asking why in the world a person was having difficulty staying on the surface- the only reason I can think is because their BC failed, and they have a steel tank. If the BC works put air in it; if you are out of air, blow air into it; if it doesn't work at all, drop your weights (an AL tank is bouyont). So what the heck are you kicking so hard against? An unjettisoned steel tank seems to be the only thing left.

I travel with several of those plastic containers with a seal and a locking lid. Those that are in my checked luggage have been in enough of a vacuum that the lids are very tight when I open them. I usually have to lightly pry them off.

If you're at 30 feet and want a full sausage, fill it half full of air. If you're at 60, fill it 1/3rd full, and so on. (Ok, 33 feet, 66 feet, but you get the picture)

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but after one drift dive in Coz, I would not go back without a SMB's, reel or not. Our last dives, I did not have reals, but we got into a drift that was lots of fun, but very fast. If you focused on anything for more than a few seconds, you could be separated from the group quickly. Unless you were late getting on location, or going to a less popular spot, more than likely where ever you come up there will be several boats around....but...a little chop, a little current, and just a little bad luck could mean a sausage would make everyone's day a lot easier. I found the 6 footer for less than $30 online and they come with a whistle. Safe travels,
jay

I have been to Cozumel many times. It depends on what equipment you have. I take everything, except weights. I take mask, fins, snorkel, several shortys, BC, regulator, boots, water socks, defog, hangers to hang up my equipment and my computer. Airlines allow you to take your equipment as it is classified as sports equipment, up to 50 lbs. American allows 50 lbs. United allows 50 lbs if you fly economy, first class up to 75 lbs.

I take everything, except weights.

But traveling with a scuba cylinder is such a pain! All the ops on the island supply them in any event. I don't think you can even get your own filled readily, and since you have to remove the valve on the plane, you're there with an empty cylinder.

Or did you have a different version of "everything" than I do? The way I dive is pretty dependent on cylinders of compressed gas.

You do not want to take your scuba cylinder. Usually if you are with a hotel in Cozumel, they contract with a scuba shop there in Cozumel and they provide weights and tanks.

I have been to Cozumel many times. It depends on what equipment you have. I take everything, except weights. I take mask, fins, snorkel, several shortys, BC, regulator, boots, water socks, defog, hangers to hang up my equipment and my computer. Airlines allow you to take your equipment as it is classified as sports equipment, up to 50 lbs. American allows 50 lbs. United allows 50 lbs if you fly economy, first class up to 75 lbs.

United allows up to 70 lbs if the bag CONTAINS ONLY scuba gear
Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

Allow me to give you the link to united.com where it talks about scuba bags as checked baggage.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#ScubaEquipment
Scroll down and click on scuba equipment.

Basically, it states that there is no weight limit as long as the bag contains "only" scuba equipment. If anything else as added to the bag then the maximum weight limit is 50 lbs.

Dive tanks or rebreather tanks have a separate charge and is noted in the website information.

Be sure to look at that link. There is a lot of additional information you will probably want to know.

Not long ago United changed its baggage policy to Mexico. The first checked bag is now $25 and a second bag is $40. The scuba bag would be your first or second bag, etc. Any tanks are charged a flat fee as noted on united.com.

You can be assured that this is the correct information.

Please know that we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards,

Steven Henry
United Airlines

Original Message Follows:

Back
Top Bottom