What sets off your alarm bells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alarm Bells: 1.) This hot, hot, hot female divemaster in Mexico - 2.) Divers that think because they carry 6 bottles of "gas", they are completely ready for any situation - equipment dependent divers, in other words. 3.) Overtrained and under skilled/confident. 4.) Overweighted divers. 5.) Divers criticising other divers for taking legal game - ( a divers skill is generally decided by the type and size of game taken - not the number of C-cards or classes attended)

A 4" blade? That isn't a BFK. I carry a USD Sea Hawk. The overall length is 11" blade is 7" with a hammer head on the handle. That's a BFK. I also have a small knife with a 4" blade for cutting on my shoulder strap. The BFK is for prying and hammering, it has a serrated back for sawing. I use it to dig Quahogs too. It is NOT for cutting. I don't care who thinks or says anything about it; it has worked for me for decades and I suspect will continue to work.

[video=youtube;WWl8EbNN8NM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM[/video]

Alarm Bells: 1.) This hot, hot, hot female divemaster in Mexico

That raises different alarm bells... also does not help with air consumption.

Originally Posted by TONY CHANEY A Pvt. saying, "I learned this in boot camp."
A Lt. saying, "In my vast amount of experience..."
A Capt. saying, I was just thinking..."
And two Staff Sgts. saying, "hold my beer and watch this s**t."

and how many civvies have a clue what you just posted?

I take it mean always go with the ones who are relaxed and have the most experience. I'm not military, Hell I was a Peace Corp volunteer.

I take it mean always go with the ones who are relaxed and have the most experience. I'm not military, Hell I was a Peace Corp volunteer.
Close.

Privates only know what they were taught in Basic. "That's nice, son; but here's the real Army".
LTs don't have any experience, but think that rank equals experience.
Captains have enough experience to be dangerous when they start thinking about better ways to apply that.

An NCO has the experience and knowledge to be really dangerous!

I don't really give a flying monkeys what anyone thinks of me and generally I don't really care much for alarm bells I'm more of a fog horn kind of bloke. I dive to have a good time, people could do with calming down a little.

Once dived with someone who had a horribly fitting BCD was clearly nervous about getting into the water after a dry spell, after a little pep talk and readjustment in kit we had an awesome dive, had some fun on the boat between dives and got back in for another cracking dive. Sure we had to solve some issues under water and sure we cut it shorter than I usually would but who cares we had a good time. Spending a little more time getting to know people may well pay dividends in the long run, I'm sure things are different for vacation divers (I'm not a regular one) but for the love of god make an effort on local dives and relax!

-edit-

Just remembered there was an instructor who approached me once on a shore dive asking to join us, in my usual trusting manner I said "sure kit up". He was an idiot, pushed his tank pretty close to empty, went horribly off plan and was generally being an idiot (first dive in a few months although it looked like years and decided to to a kit removal on a fine sandy bottom), you win some you lose some I think it was more his "I'm an instructor and I know best" attitude that rubbed me up the wrong way though. Inquired after the dive where he trained, zero to hero course in Thailand, my fog horn went off.

"An NCO has the experience and knowledge to be really dangerous!"

21 years in the Army and never heard that. I especially like it because I retired as a Sergeant First Class in 2007!

RLTW

"An NCO has the experience and knowledge to be really dangerous!"

21 years in the Army and never heard that. I especially like it because I retired as a Sergeant First Class in 2007!

RLTW
I caveat that with "to the people intended to get hurt." The experience part means that he can do it safely around the PVT, LT, and CPT.

Hell, you know what I mean :D

I don't really care much for alarm bells I'm more of a fog horn kind of bloke. I dive to have a good time, people could do with calming down a little....
....Once dived with someone who had a horribly fitting BCD was clearly nervous about getting into the water

I'm sorry.....but you DID have alarm bells and/or fog horns go off. Had those alarm bells not gone off, it could've turned into an awful dive. It was those alarm bells that allowed it to be enjoyable.....I don't see why alarm bells have to mean you fail miserably at being a "fun diver."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom