What should be expected when purchasing a guided dive trip?

Would you pay $120 for two 40 minute dives on a reef with a 12m depth limit?

• Yes

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Depends on the dive site( in this case it's a nice reef)

Votes: 57 33.3%
  • Absolutely not, that's ridiculous.

Votes: 52 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaworld seems to get away with charging that much because they are at a lot of resorts, and are a common name in Cancun. That price is 50% higher than the operation my wife and I use when we are there.

It's a 30-40 minute boat ride.
Yes, that's what I was pointing out, but the OP mentioned being back at the dock to pick up afternoon groups so it doesn't sound like the case. (I did vote no based on that ass-sumption.)

Agreed, and well said. It is a very good site for new divers, but not what an experienced diver would expect for the price.
I think it would work for newly certified divers to help them get comfortable for first dives and to not feel stressed or rushed when in a group of seasoned divers.
Of course, 40 minutes could be too short.

We limit the number of divers per guide to 4, but sometimes take more based on the experience level of the divers.
My concern is with the word "guided". If that means that the guided party is two (me and guide) I do that sometimes. If it means he is leading a party of 8, then I am going elsewhere. I hate chasing after a group.

Sounds more like Discover Scuba type restrictions, which it could potentially work for if gear was included.
Our dsd dives are great, and the location is perfect for dsd divers, the concern as you pointed out , is that it isn't appropriate for certified divers to be limited like that. Especially for the cost of the dive.

Thank you for such a detailed response, I won't disclose the location of the shop ( it wouldn't be hard to guess if I did). everything you said out is spot on the money, and as you can guess, is what I am trying to convey to my employers.
Where in Mexico is this?

There are a few things that are working against this being an alluring dive excursion....

- Price. $120 for 2 tanks, in say, Cozumel, is a lot.
- 40 minute dive time is ridiculous, especially at those depths. (I've done 80 minute dives going all the way down to 90 feet and working my way up.)
- 40 minute dive time regardless of how much air in tank is left is even more ridiculous, especially for the price. Does the whole group have to come up if someone is out of air or low? Or is it each buddy group goes up as they are low on air?
- On the same boat as snorkelers. How many? It sounds like a cattle boat.
- 15 minute surface interval....That's hardly enough time to pee, drink, change out batteries for cameras, and change tanks,etc. I'm not even talking safety margins for NDLs since it's so shallow.

What needs to change? At minimum, price would need to come down slightly and dive times maybe limited to 60 minutes, at the very least. Not being so rushed to get onto the second dive and have time to chat about the experience with your dive buddy, your fellow dive group, etc., would be nice. Enjoying the ride out to the dive site and back as well. Snacks. Most of my dives are international dives in various countries and from what you've described, it sounds like the operator is really trying to make as much money as possible in as short amount of time as possible, hence tossing snorkelers and divers onto a boat together, rushing the dives and snorkeling, and hauling back in time to take out another batch.

I put "depends". I would pay that and maybe more if collecting live shells was legal and permitted by the op, and there was a good chance of coming up with something good. Otherwise I wouldn't be there regardless of price, depth, time. Not what you're looking for, but an honest choice in the poll.

The dives would need to be on a VERY special site. Reality is that I would be very hard pressed to justify that price for those dives. And even with a lower price, the dive package really doesn't sound appealing given the other restrictions anyway.

Thank you for such a detailed response, I won't disclose the location of the shop ( it wouldn't be hard to guess if I did). everything you said out is spot on the money, and as you can guess, is what I am trying to convey to my employers.

You're most welcome. Somewhat related and important....Having a rushed surface interval, and overall rushed experience can lead to disaster. Divers hurrying in and out of the water means things can be forgotten that affect safety (life and death!) and will result in liability and legal issues, even if forms are signed. Think of all the things that can go wrong if novice divers aren't doing their checks or haven't gotten in the groove of diving, or if someone who is susceptible to DCS does get bent because of such short intervals. It sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen so if you can point that out to your employers, that should already make them re-think the program. Something like this can pave the way for disaster to happen because people are rushed or get the sense that they are being rushed. Diving should be a methodical, un-rushed process...the actual dive itself, getting ready, breaking down, reflecting on what the group did that worked well and what could be improved upon to prevent diver issues from arising underwater, separation, etc. The list is very long here!

On the broader subject of paying for 'short' dives, it's not impossible, but it's not something I'd do where you are.

I went on a trip averaging short dive times (maybe 35 minutes or a bit more) that I loved, but that was diving out of Morehead City, North Carolina. We mostly hit the offshore wrecks, and that could entail a 1 1/2 hour ride out to the 1st wreck, and when you're doing a nearly square profile deep dive on a wreck sitting on ~ 110 feet sandy bottom, even with EAN 30% & a big tank, NDL's will send you packing rather early. But that was wreck diving, enjoying sand tiger sharks and a couple dives on a German U-boat wreck.

If you want to sell a pair of short, shallow dives and rather expensive at that, you'd better make a compelling argument for what will compensate me for those drawbacks. Then explain how I can't do better at your competitor. 'Nice reef' won't cut it.

If you want a comparator, I recall at least one, maybe 2 older threads were people spoke of the included scuba diving out of a Sandals resort with 45 minute limited dive times. If you're at an AI resort, not paying anything extra for the dives, and diving is just a fringe benefit to the overall package you're there for, maybe you'll make the compromise.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom