What should I buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for pointers on my next SCUBA related purchase.
As you can see from my profile, I'm very new (~15 dives) to the sport. I'm located in NJ (although most of my diving occurs in warmer locations). I'm AOW and NITROX certified. I'm planning a Key West dive in late January 2010, and a Roatan trip in early summer of 2010. There will be NJ dives scattered through there, I'm sure. I also free dive pretty frequently.
I currently own 2 wetsuits (3mm and 8mm semi-dry), mask, snorkel, fins, hood, gloves, boots, and knife.
My question is: What next major piece of equipment should I buy? Dive Computer? BCD? Regulator? Octopus? And if you could give your reasoning as to why you advise a certain action, I would appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards a dive computer for a few reasons:
1) Dive computer sure seems helpful/useful/convenient. easy to transport, does everything for you.
2) can rent BCD/Regulator/Octopus at any dive operator for cheap. And the quality of the rentals is fine for me. Also, renting lets me NOT travel with a huge setup (cheap, easy).
3) Price. I haven't exactly priced out a full BCD/Reg/Octopus setup, but I'm guessing that a solid entry level one would be near $1k. A solid entry computer is 250-400.

So thats why I'm leaning towards a computer. Am I missing something?

My only concern is that I would really like an air-integrated computer (that whole "how much air time left" thing sounds nice). however, air-integrated wrist computers are like 600. and an air integrated console computer is cheaper, but then i'd have to deal with hooking it up to a rental regulator everytime.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

I'd buy a bcd. It's a personal fit thing, like fins. There's lots of them out there and if you ask here, you'll get into the back plate and wing vs the jacket style ongoing debate. But since the style of bc also somewhat dictates your weighting system, it's good to be consistant in that. It takes a dive or three to get used to a new system....for me anyway.

Dive computer and regs.

Owning your own DC is nice because you know what it is telling you. When you switch DC's (from one rental set to another) you'll find there may be differences on how information is presented.

You'll never go wrong with a nice set of regs! They are you're life supporting equipment and you'll likely take better care than what you'll be renting!

Do some searches on computer about wrist vs. consul and AI vs. non-AI. There is a lot out there.

I'd put the BC lower on the food chain. For years, divers dove w/o BC's. If you end up renting a not so good BC, you can compensate with diving skills. If you rent a crappy reg, skills aren't going to help that much.

I'd go with a BC. A good fitting BC can be a lot like a good fitting mask it just makes the dive more comfortable. Since you seem to be interested in an air integrated computer I would reccomend trying to make a package buy, most dive shops will give a decent discount on this kind of package bought together.

Last edited:
Looking for pointers on my next SCUBA related purchase.
As you can see from my profile, I'm very new (~15 dives) to the sport. I'm located in NJ (although most of my diving occurs in warmer locations). I'm AOW and NITROX certified. I'm planning a Key West dive in late January 2010, and a Roatan trip in early summer of 2010. There will be NJ dives scattered through there, I'm sure. I also free dive pretty frequently.
I currently own 2 wetsuits (3mm and 8mm semi-dry), mask, snorkel, fins, hood, gloves, boots, and knife.
My question is: What next major piece of equipment should I buy? Dive Computer? BCD? Regulator? Octopus? And if you could give your reasoning as to why you advise a certain action, I would appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards a dive computer for a few reasons:
1) Dive computer sure seems helpful/useful/convenient. easy to transport, does everything for you.
2) can rent BCD/Regulator/Octopus at any dive operator for cheap. And the quality of the rentals is fine for me. Also, renting lets me NOT travel with a huge setup (cheap, easy).
3) Price. I haven't exactly priced out a full BCD/Reg/Octopus setup, but I'm guessing that a solid entry level one would be near $1k. A solid entry computer is 250-400.

So thats why I'm leaning towards a computer. Am I missing something?

My only concern is that I would really like an air-integrated computer (that whole "how much air time left" thing sounds nice). however, air-integrated wrist computers are like 600. and an air integrated console computer is cheaper, but then i'd have to deal with hooking it up to a rental regulator everytime.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

I would save up and buy a good computer. If you want a air integrated one get one.
Go with a good one right from the start otherwise in a year or two you will be getting
another one that will cost more and still have the cheaper one.
My air integrated console computer retailed for over 800.
If you get a air integrated wrist computer you still have to mount the transmitter to the 1st stage.
Usually the dive shop will do this for you with either type (Hose or transmitter).
Just don't forget to get it back:shocked2:
Some shops will sale it with out the transmitter make sure the price is with one.
Some transmitters cost over 400 by themselves.
Just make sure the computer can grow with your diving needs.
My air integrated console computer doesn't work for my tech dives so I had to buy
a different one costing me more money:(

By the way check rental gear closely do a search on rental gear.
Have fun diving

Mike

we have bought our kids the same kit (we have 3 kids and all have this "kit") LP.

It costs $675
For that we get:
Oceanic BC (vest style. weight integrated)
Oceanic Alpha 8 reg and octo
TUSA DC Hunter console with computer

We have not found a better deal anywhere and are very happy with the performance of the gear. Our kids lives depend on it and it works fine.

I'd say do the reg & comp first. Get what you'll need for the future. That way you won't be re-investing in too short of a time. I love my air integrated. Check with your LDS, they may have something that they can sell from rental. That's how I bought my first comp.

Go for the computer. Even if your style of diving changes the computer will adapt. Spending more now will save you later. Try to find one that is capable of useing diff. gases. Good luck and save diving!

I agree with comp/reg first. Both are important for safety. You really do not know the service record of rental regs - having your own should inspire confidence. Unlike BC's both computers/regulators are light and easy to travel with.

Also, make sure you really want a BC and not a BP/W before you buy. It's best to dive them both just to make sure which feels better. You'll find plenty of threads here on SB using the search function if you want to learn more.

I posted this thread a little while ago that could help with the shopping. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/281780-whats-most-solid-reg-best-price.html Personally I just splurged and bought my Scubapro MK25 G250V & S600 which is not a cheap reg but I love it.

I was certified a thousand years ago so it may not be a fair comparison anymore. I did the rental thing for a while myself, then gradually attained my gear-one piece at a time. My advice to people now, take out your credit card and buy what you want. Get it all! Personally, I am not on board with renting regs and dive computers, etc. I always want my own. It would also seem to me that if you can afford to travel to tropical destinations then you can afford the gear. Keep the economy going man, buy your gear and set yourself free.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom