what should i do with this find? (what have you done with your finds)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madprops

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went on my first treasure hunting dive last night and i found a small plate that was not broken or chiped. It has the crest of the union steamship company of BC on the front and to green lines going around the outside lip of the dish.

on the back it says it was made by john maddock and sons ltd with a crest that had a loin on it.
after some digging i found out that it was made from 1920 to 1925

i would say its in really good shape for being in the water for so long.

now i'm think of donating it to a museum (the same one that give me the info on it) i think it would be a cool thing to do. i just wanted to know what you guys would do?
i'm sure its not worth to much money i would say 50 bucks at the most.

and also what have you done with your cool finds??

Will the museum display it? Will u get credit for the find? If not, I would keep it and display it properly. Would make for a great conversation starter.

Maybe make a shadow box with the plate, and info on the wreck it came from? If you could find a picture of the ship, and a little blurb on it, would be pretty cool. Something to pass down through the generations.

but giving it to the museum may have better luck down the road, you may make connections there with people that know other area's and may get good leads on other places to treasure hunt/dive. By giving it to them, it'll show that you're more into the history, than some guy trying to get rich. (which is very unlikely to happen)

Or you could do both, make the box, and ask them if they want to display in on loan for a few years. (Do get things in writing though, my grandpa used to hunt points a lot and got burned a couple times lending displays to local museums)

I would keep it and start looking for more steam ship dishes. I have lots, once I found a small cream server with a nice oriantal design on it from the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company and 2 years latter I found the matching suger boal, now I keep my eye out for the matching platter.

ZDD

Donate to museum, but:
1 - make sure they are interested and plan to display it, and
2 - make sure that they will display it with your name as donor

If they aren't interested, look for another museum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom