What should I expect in Rescue Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This question may not exactly belong in this forum, but I think it has a very strong tie-in. Any of you who have completed the PADI Rescue Diver Course, what can I expect and prepare for physically? I have heard that some of the skill exercises are demanding. I'm "training" for it now and plan to take it in about 7 weeks or so.

I know it may vary some depending on the instructor. The guy I plan to take it from is a tough old guy, kind of a "drill sergeant" type, but I like that about him ... in a way. :D

Any advice from you folks will be appreciated.

Hello.

I'm in the same boat as this guy was. I'm gonna do my rescue course in 1,5 months as the first step in my dive master.

I'm wondering if you guys have some tips on what I should work on. I swim 2,5-3 kms 3 times a week, and do some occational jogging and mountain bike trips. But I don't lift weights or do anything to work on my strength. So my question is: should I start work on my strength, and what areas should I focus on?

Thanks in advance:wink:

Hi,

I completed my rescue course a week or so ago and I definitely felt over prepped - which isn't a bad thing at all.

Key points would be - make sure you can equip and remove your gear by yourself. The actual lifting and dragging is more about technique than superior strength. There were 5 women in the class and they were able to do the drag because of proper technique. The biggest killer was the cardio load and being able to remove gear before exiting the surf.

So I don't have specifics for workouts but I would say you should be ok given your current swim load. Although if you can't lift your own gear it may be more difficult...

Remember that technique and skill is greater than using brute strength. Work the scenarios smarter not harder, in other words. The first day of skill work will prepare you mentally for what you have to do the second day.

I didn't personally find the class to be as physically challenging as I'd been told, but I guess that depends on a lot - ie differences in fitness levels, how hard the victim struggles against you, how big (or small) the victim is, and many other variables.

My wife and took the rescue course some time ago. My wife found it easier than I did. We are both in fairly good shape,but she is a better swipper than I. I loved the course but I was tired at the end. The best advice I can give is to try and relax. The more tense you get the more tired you will get.They tell will teach you how to do it. Then you will do each step. Good luck

I'm the contrarian here. Some of the stuff is usefull. Some useless. For one I'm 62 5'8"" 180lbs. I had to carry a 25 year old 230lb 6"4" guy out of the surf 3 times. I will never do that in a real world sceanario. Glad I took the course but it was not my favorite.

It all depends on how hard the instructor wants to push you. My rescue class was not difficult, for me at least. Neither the instructor or the other female student combined couldn't carry me out of the water (220 pounds dry). So I imagine her answer would be different. Now the instructor for whom I DM, he pushes his students very hard and is quite demanding. So it's all in the teacher.

Being fit does bring with it advantages, but more importantly is the knowledge the course instructs you. Being a fitter diver is, of course, the ideal and it enables you greater flexibility in managing an incident.

'Strength' wise I'd make sure I could at least lift my own body-weight. Which luckily enough can be done without the need of a gym. Heaves (chin-ups), Dips and good old fashioned press-ups (many different varieties)

Hope this helps

Safe Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom