what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doesn't fill anything past 3000psi? That's garbage. Why are you looking at 104's?

There are a number of shops in my area that won’t fill past 3000. They say their compressor won’t go past 3000. It’s probably the don’t want to push their compressors past 3000. I refer to these as “warm water shops.” They’re really not interested in filling non-AL80s. Getting HP fills can be a challenge.

There are a number of shops in my area that won’t fill past 3000. They say their compressor won’t go past 3000. It’s probably the don’t want to push their compressors past 3000. I refer to these as “warm water shops.” They’re really not interested in filling non-AL80s. Getting HP fills can be a challenge.
Yeah, they cater mostly to travel divers. They have the rule so they don’t accidentally over fill Al 80 tanks which is 98% of the tanks they fill

Yeah it sucks but it’s free. I was thinking 104s so I can have 100cuft of air or more if I can get them filled to 3000psi
those are big and heavy tanks. You'll go from 90cf to about 115cf with the HP100's and LP104's at 3000psi, but you're going to have to carry an extra 15lbs per tank to do it... An al80 stage will give you a bit more gas for about the same amount of weight. It's a bit more hassle than just the two tanks, but you can ditch it when you don't want or need it. Frankly I'd stay with the HP100's

they're either full of sh!t or they're using 50+ year old compressors. I'm going to go with full of sh!t...
There is no appreciable difference for the wear of the compressors at 3500psi than there is at 3000psi...

Yeah, they cater mostly to travel divers. They have the rule so they don’t accidentally over fill Al 80 tanks which is 98% of the tanks they fill

so because they don't trust themselves to properly operate a fill station, they short fill all of their customers with high pressure tanks. Great, remind me not to support that shop because if they don't trust themselves to turn a dial on a regulator, what else are they not responsible enough to do?

I have used lp112's (essentially lp104) for sidemount and they are a bear to deal with. If you need the gas you need the gas, but going from a tank in the mid-30 pound range (al80, lp85, hp100) to a tank just shy of 50 pounds filled is a meaningful PITA. What is the payoff for that extra weight for you? I mean, sure, you'd have more gas, but are you going to use it or is it just going to end up as a massive reserve every dive?

Love my sweet old PST HP 120s.
If I'm diving at a specific location known to have difficulty filling to 3000psi (I think their compressor is a WWI army surplus relic) I have some LP120s.
Have a set of Faber HP100s too, but they seem too short for me and don't trim out as nice.

I have found arguing with boat captains and fill station operators bears fruit approximately o percent of the time.
It is possible to encourage them into doing something they were already thinking about doing, however. Maybe 40% on the that for me. Arguing... is negative percent an option?

Love my sweet old PST HP 120s.
If I'm diving at a specific location known to have difficulty filling to 3000psi (I think their compressor is a WWI army surplus relic) I have some LP120s.
Have a set of Faber HP100s too, but they seem too short for me and don't trim out as nice.
Vintage fill stations, for the history-loving diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom