What size backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'm 6 foot but have short little legs 29 inch inseam. So having a long torso presents a few challenges. What size backplate would fit me best?

Watching with interest. Tobin would never specifically answer the question for me.... I chose the "long" (I'm 6'-7", 36" inseam), and I am quite happy with the fit. Could the X-Long be an even better fit? Who knows..... but not worth the $$ to experiment in buying another..... I'm pondering a kydex, but it isn't a priority.

I was given good advice for a way to start sizing the plate.

Wearing your exposure protection with the BP crotch strap secured, shoulder straps tightened to where you can force a fist (test one side at a time) under the shoulder straps at the level of your chest D-rings, and the plate (no tanks) seated on your back:

Reach behind you with one hand and put your fingers on your spine as far down as is reasonably comfortable. Note this spot. This is where the top of the plate should be.

Lowviz, that's a great way to find where the top if the plate should be. If its a short plate it will put the waist strap around my gut and not my waist.

Lowviz, that's a great way to find where the top if the plate should be. If its a short plate it will put the waist strap around my gut and not my waist.

If your torso is longer than a normally proportioned person who is taller than about 6'3 a "long pattern" is worth considering.

That's also pretty unlikely. I'd be surprised if a "Large" plate (typically recommended for ~6'0" to ~6'4") wasn't the right choice.

For single tank diving there is no need to obsess over plate sizing, you could probably use either a large or long pattern plate if they were properly setup.

Keep in mind we aren't fitting you for shoes or dentures :)

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, I was leaning towards a large but just wanted to be sure.

I was given good advice for a way to start sizing the plate.

Wearing your exposure protection with the BP crotch strap secured, shoulder straps tightened to where you can force a fist (test one side at a time) under the shoulder straps at the level of your chest D-rings, and the plate (no tanks) seated on your back:

Reach behind you with one hand and put your fingers on your spine as far down as is reasonably comfortable. Note this spot. This is where the top of the plate should be.

This seems to be more about arm length and shoulder flexibility than it is about torso size. I know you should be able to get to the tank valve, but what is the theory of why you need to touch the top of the backplate ?

If your torso is longer than a normally proportioned person who is taller than about 6'3 a "long pattern" is worth considering. That's also pretty unlikely. I'd be surprised if a "Large" plate (typically recommended for ~6'0" to ~6'4") wasn't the right choice. For single tank diving there is no need to obsess over plate sizing, you could probably use either a large or long pattern plate if they were properly setup. Keep in mind we aren't fitting you for shoes or dentures :) Tobin
Does that hold true for Double Tank diving as well then or is it more of an issue when you have to factor in valve drills?
This seems to be more about arm length and shoulder flexibility than it is about torso size. I know you should be able to get to the tank valve, but what is the theory of why you need to touch the top of the backplate ?
I believe it is if you are able to touch the top of the plate then if you have properly set bands on a pair of doubles you will be able to reach the valves and adjust them.

Does that hold true for Double Tank diving as well then or is it more of an issue when you have to factor in valve drills? I believe it is if you are able to touch the top of the plate then if you have properly set bands on a pair of doubles you will be able to reach the valves and adjust them.

Maybe :) Not a bad place to start.

With single tanks there is a lot of adjustment of the tank relative to the plate, with doubles not so much, and or not as easily. That makes plate selection for doubles a matter of greater concern.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom